SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. So I know there are threads saying that oil catch cans on a 9-3 SS are worthless. That is very incorrect in my opinion. Now, a low mileage perfect engine, maybe not. But there will always be some oil and carbon pass through the system of any car, especially direct injected vehicles. I Installed a catch can on my 2003 linear and the results are good. Now I know I know, maybe I have a issue with my PCV system. But as many people know, the pcv is internal. So in a sense yes a catch can is not worthless. As seen in the picture, you can see the oil sitting on the baffle ( I already removed the media). That may not be a lot, but that's only been on the car for about a month. And only like 1k miles. Over time that can become a lot of oil. For me, I'd rather catch it than have it go through my turbo and intercooler.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,916 Posts
There are tons of different catch cans out there, ranging from $19 eBay ones to the $500 one on my Camaro. But even a cheap one is worthwhile, since sucking PCV oil mist into your turbo and intercooler pipes is not a good thing. Plus, oil mist has a crappy octane number, so it’s best to keep the air charge clean. Here’s a pic of one I put on my 2011 NG 9-5 2.8 a little while back. I was surprised how much stuff I caught on a car with low mileage.
B2CE2A36-FBCD-48CC-AEF1-D3BDA94AC69B.jpeg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts