SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
CEL came on, thinking it might be the CPS which, needs replacing, but the CEL hasn't been coming on

Popped the hood and saw the oil cap literally exploded

To be fair, it's 16 years old and the car sits in the South Florida sun all day, every day.

The good news is I will have a new one by July 31

The bad news is I have a dentists appointment on the 30th, some 45 minute drive each way

What can I shove in there for now?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
8,927 Posts
I don't know what "exploded" exactly means.

If there are big enough pieces, try to put it back together, truss it up with tape, and see if it goes on.

If not, I guess you could put a thick sheet of something over top, like super-heavy-duty aliminum foil. Try to secure around the edges with a zip tie.

If this blows out too, then you have other problems.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Easy seal would be rubber glove.
But I agree: if it exploded by internal pressure you most likely have a damaged engine.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My wallet nor my brain can bare to think that the issue is deeper

I wonder: I did not replace the cover after cleaning the springs around the throttle body. Was that the cause?

The part of the cap that screws onto the filler tube has a spring in it. The top part broke away with the spring fully extended still holding it up

Researching it on ebay, there's a bunch of sellers, so apparently more common than I would have thought. Keep in mind at 167K I never replaced the CPS either, and just 6 months ago replaced the fuel pump

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the idea using HD foil. I just did that. It sounds healthy when I started it but I haven't taken it for a drive yet. The exploded oil cap is quite brittle. To be safe I did put the cover back on, but someone needs to tell me that it was the cause, or contributing cause

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I wouldn't overthink it. The plastic in the cap is fatigued and the spring caused it to split and pop up. Unless you can see oil spray around the dipstick or on the hood underside you're probably OK. If you have to drive it, I'd use a few layers of foil and zip tie it. Any sump pressure should be taken care of by the PCV system and if not, it'll escape between the foil and dipstick tube.

What code is showing causing the CEL?

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. I'm with you: simply fatigued to the point that when I removed the cover it was enough force to take the cap over the edge. The dip stick did not rise up. No evidence of an oil gusher

I only have an inexpensive OBD, which may not show true code/s, but the CEL was not on until this happened, unless I floored it and it started bucking, but as soon as I backed off and feathered the gas it went away

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Good. Try reading for stored codes anyway. CEL can be off and there still can be codes.

If it bucked after flooring it, you may have popped-off the big hose going from the intercooler to the throttle body - or a clamp may be loose allowing unmetered air into the intake stream. Worth checking out.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the help! T

he hoses appear to be intact, but I didn't put a light on it to make sure

Reading the manual, it said to check the 9V battery, which was working but I did and the connectr end had popped open, so I replaced it

P0101 says MAF, which I cleaned with MAF cleaner. I can try that again, just because it's easy. It's never been replaced either and the engine was less bucking after I did clean it

Any other ideas?

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK, I recleaned the TB, and replaced a burned out headlight bulb. Whoever came up with that stupid idea of the spring clip holding the bulb in place? I want to drown him

Cleared to code. I need to drive it later. Sweating from doing this in S Florida heat, jumping in the shower

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK, I recleaned the TB, and replaced a burned out headlight bulb. Whoever came up with that stupid idea of the spring clip holding the bulb in place? I want to drown him

Cleared to code. I need to drive it later. Sweating from doing this in S Florida heat, jumping in the shower

Oops I meant the MAF. Im guessing heat stroke lol

·
Registered
376 Posts

"Check the intake system for leaks first then continue with fault diagnosis. "

open oil filler cap is air leak.
maybe you also deattached the pressure sensor nearby the throttle body or while disassembling the cover.

In the end it doesnt matter, the engine would also run without the MAF, should be no problem to use it a little bit longer. Maybe it burns some more oil, might be a good idea to refill before the ride.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Took her for a brief ride yesterday. CEL flickers (under moderate acceleration), which is likely the oil cap replaced with Al foil. New cap scheduled for delivery tomorrow

·
Registered
8,927 Posts
CEL is flickering, or flashing?

If it's flashing, that's a damaging misfire, and won't have much to do with the oil cap. Yes, lack of a sealed cap throws off the PCV system, but it's not that much of an air leak, compared to an engine running at "moderate acceleration".

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
CEL is flickering, or flashing?

If it's flashing, that's a damaging misfire, and won't have much to do with the oil cap. Yes, lack of a sealed cap throws off the PCV system, but it's not that much of an air leak, compared to an engine running at "moderate acceleration".
Drove 15 miles today: no flicker, but I didn't push hard on the pedal

·
Registered
145 Posts
My wallet nor my brain can bare to think that the issue is deeper

I wonder: I did not replace the cover after cleaning the springs around the throttle body. Was that the cause?

The part of the cap that screws onto the filler tube has a spring in it. The top part broke away with the spring fully extended still holding it up

Researching it on ebay, there's a bunch of sellers, so apparently more common than I would have thought. Keep in mind at 167K I never replaced the CPS either, and just 6 months ago replaced the fuel pump
Mine 'exploded' due to age and brittle plastic. Replaced with new and no problems since.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Mine 'exploded' due to age and brittle plastic. Replaced with new and no problems since.
Thanks. Makes me feel better, even though there was clear signs of brittle fatigue. Do you keep your cover on... does it matter? Maybe it helps keep the cables around the throttle body cleaner

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
While UPS has failed to deliver my new oil filler cap, the good news is not seeing any CEL flickers.

Seems the problem was simply the MAF needed double cleaning, but also the connector to the ECU. What's crazy is how much the car bucked like it had to be a more serious problem

So a BIG thumbs up to Steve for getting me to use my OBM II

1 - 20 of 20 Posts