SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently, a fellow Leftpondian forum member on the c900 board mentioned the feature of Eeuroparts.com that allows you to total up all the money you've spent on car parts through their website. Tonight, after a few beers, I threw caution to the winds, and went to look my total up. I just couldn't resist, being that I am such a sucker for pain. I was astonished! I have spent $1160.60 on parts, since I got the car in 2005. Add in a few hundred from the Saabsite, Evilbay, and junkyards, and I'm probably upwards of $1400. I paid $1700 for the car itself :eek:

But this has piqued my curiosity. For those who DIY, how much have you spent on parts? I'd like figures for the life of the car, if you can, and for since the beginning of 2006, so I can compare to my own illustrious litany of repairs. How much have ye fellow c900 DIYers ponied up? Be honest! :cry:

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
I understand you quest, but feel that, at least for myself, this may be an area where ignorance is true bliss. By not knowing, when my wife asks "how much do you have wrapped up in that old car" I can remain quite honest and say "don't know, can't be that much":cheesy:. If I added it up I'd feel compelled to either fess up and tell the truth or lie - both of which may have negative consequences.:nono;

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
The reality is that you would have to spend a fortune to get anywhere near the depreciation levels if you were to buy a contemporary car and even then the servicing costs would at least be the same as on your beloved C900 if you had someone else do it. The economics of running a c900 are sound; no depreciation and extensive parts network, brilliant!

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The reality is that you would have to spend a fortune to get anywhere near the depreciation levels if you were to buy a contemporary car and even then the servicing costs would at least be the same as on your beloved C900 if you had someone else do it. The economics of running a c900 are sound; no depreciation and extensive parts network, brilliant!
Oh I am well aware of that. I've definitely spent more on Telemark skiing since 2005. I was just curious how I stacked up to the other forum members in terms of cost of upkeep.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Oh I am well aware of that. I've definitely spent more on Telemark skiing since 2005. I was just curious how I stacked up to the other forum members in terms of cost of upkeep.
I once added up what I'd spent on musical instruments and associated "stuff" (PA system, microphones, cords, amps, various recording devices, two electric guitars, seven acoustics, one twelve string, one electric bass, one banjo, keyboard ......) - I figured that if I could break even if I a) went pro with a solid record and songwriting contract -OR- b) sold all the stuff, accepted the depreciation of the electroncs against the appreciation of some of the guitars (rather rare ones) - but I decided that - in the long run - the pleasure I derive from playing the instruments makes the investment worthwhile - much like the smile I get on my face when I'm driving my 900 - sure - I could buy a newer, faster and fancier car - but I wouldn't get that warm feeling goin' down the road (I know, I tried)

Still not gonna add it up though - :cheesy:

Ok - curiosity got the better of me - from eeuroparts.com (across three Saabs since 2006 $1425.15 - figure in a replacement engine for the NG900 (1500.00), wheels/tires for the NG (1200.00), wheels/tires for my latest addition (500.00) various other bits (probably around 1000.00) it's fairly high cost of ownership - however - if I examine the expenses in detail, the NG was resonsible for about 3700.00 of the total outlay - making the two C900s positive bargains (especially if one considers that the NG would have needed a top this summer, had I kept it, but I traded it for the '87 euro-spec that I'm driving today!) - hey - don't tell my wife - ok?$1,425.15

1 - 6 of 6 Posts