SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
08 9-5 Aero
2,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replaced rotors and pads on the 08. One side had a rounded out hex and while the 5mm socket went in snug, the screw wasn’t budging. I heated it up and tapped it w/a punch just to free up any rust, over tightening. Still not budging.
So I went to a T40 torx socket and sledge tapped that in till it was set without holding. Put the ratchet on it and it turned. I was afraid I’d have to drill it out or create a new hex opening, which doesn’t work as easy as it looks on YouTube with punches.
Probably not a new trick, but being the torx has more bite than a hex and slightly larger ID, it’s worth a try.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I had a similar experience with my 1995 900SE. I ended up using "bolt extractor" that normally doesn't work well at all but in this case, after hammering it in, it had enough grip to take out the index.

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
Impact drivers work pretty well on those index screws, too. I've rounded off a couple with a ratchet and hex bit, but my impact driver always seems to zip them out pretty easily. My 2000 9-5 came with one that someone had drilled out, all the way through the shank. I had to take a cold chisel and a hammer and tap out the remaining threads, but then I was able to put a new screw in.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Impact drivers work pretty well on those index screws, too. I've rounded off a couple with a ratchet and hex bit, but my impact driver always seems to zip them out pretty easily. My 2000 9-5 came with one that someone had drilled out, all the way through the shank. I had to take a cold chisel and a hammer and tap out the remaining threads, but then I was able to put a new screw in.
Those little impact drivers that come in the sets of power tools are a gift from the gods as far as getting index screws out.
Another tip would be to thoroughly clean out the head as well as possible.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts