SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What to do??? I know many of you have had these issues - and I know that some fixes have been posted. I am taking the car in on Wed to The Exchange. Just wondering if many of you have had success. The car drives great, looks great, but sounds like it is coming apart at every bump in the road - and here in Chicago, there are plenty of bumps and potholes. I have a weird buzzing comiing from the back, kind of like a shaking sound, I have a clunk from the rear suspension at each major bump, I have the buzzing fromn the stereo in my door panel, I have a rattle which sounds like it is coming from just under the drivers seat and I also have a click each time I accelerate coming from the dash area near the SID. If I could get these fixed I would be in love, but this is a total joke for a car that stickered at 37K! My Infiniti had a few rattles and they were eventually fixed - but nothing like this. I want to cry. It is so irritating - makes me feel like I am in a Kia! Were Saabs like this prior to GM? Any place you guys can suggest I try and put some felt in? ANyone have a shake noise from the center armrest? Any help is greatly appreciated - I like my Saab, but I want to fall in love!!!

·
Super Moderator
20,237 Posts
What I did was bang around on stuff and listen to see what rattled. If you can pinpoint exactly what was rattling, at least someone on here could tell you exactly how to get to the source of your rattle. For instance, a lot of us have rattles in our doors, but some have them in between the actual panel and the door and some have them in the switches in the armrest. For the back, I would first try the onstar box. The bottom is a metal piece that contacts metal and vibrates. Unscrew it with a torx head and put some duct tape around the edges. If not that, check the plastic trim piece that houses the upper break light in the rear window. Be careful when removing as I broke the tabs on mine. A lot of us have the suspension clunk. It may only be the exhaust, or a exhaust hanger, or a heat shield. Only way to find out is to crawl under there and bang around. The rattle under the seat may be the clips that hold the leather seating down have come loose. Check all the clips to see they're attached. I'm not sure about the clicking when accelerating one. I had a rattle in my overhead console that I fixed. Run a search on my name and the word rattle. I made a post a few months back on how to fix it. If you need help to get under the trim pieces just ask as it's pretty easy. Good luck!

·
Registered
563 Posts
I feel for you mate... i'm in the same boat.. I want to love !!

i had a buzzing coming from the passeger door ... the clunk from the rear over bumps.. and i have a horrible creaking clutch pedal and and creaking driver seat back...

and just this morning i'm sure some rattling was coming from the over head console...

The clunking at the back has almost gone now.. doesnt' do it very often at all... but the dealer didn't fix the door clutch or seat like i asked... so they can have another look that what they are there for!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had a lot of rattles in my car too. They took care of this 3 times, but by the time the last rattle was fixed the first ones started to come back. :x

The "clonk"-noice on my car was the rear suspension. I think they replaced the shock absorber. No more clonk but a lot of other annoying noices, mostly rattles and of course the squeeling brakes (which btw they "fixed" 3 times before they gave up. "You have to live with it").

I got rid of the car about 6 months ago after having the car for 15 months and about 10(!) visits to the shop with various complaints :evil:. Like most owners, I liked the handling and the look of the car, it was great fun to drive. The quality however, was not what I expected from a "premium" car. I switched to "The Ultimate Driving Machine" and the difference is huge. Everything feels more solid and there are no rattles or other annoying noices in the car. I hope SAAB can improve their quality but I would think twice before I spent that much money on a SAAB again, although I probably had bad luck with my car.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
The rattles in the hatchback based 9-3 were just as bad and, as far as the hatch was concerned, much harder to track down and fix. What's disconcerting about the 9-3SS is that for the first 10K miles it was rock solid, now I'm starting to hear all sorts of stuff. I haven't taken action against the rattles either myself or through the dealer so until I do, who knows if it's fixable. In most cases I think understanding how to disassemble the pieces that are rattling is beneficial to the car owner becuase eventually the car will be out of warranty and things will rattle again that are fixed, and things that aren't rattling now might later on.

Can anyone here say that their car went from rock-solid to rattle-trap and back again because they were able to find and fix the various places their car started making noise?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your comments and suggestions so far guys. Don't get me wrong, these rattles are not horrible and would not cause me to sell the car - but they really take away from the solid and luxurious feel a 37K car should have. It wouldn't be so bad if I could just up the stereo - but then I get the buzz from the door - but I have isolated that the buzz comes from the black piece where the window controls are - any idea how to fix that or how I should point my dealer in the right direction? If I can get just a few of these fixed - I truly will be in love. I know interiors all about personal preference - I just love the Saab interiors. I have had Audis, Acura, BMW and Infiniti - and the Audi/Saab still are the best to me. BMW interiors are so plain with no real style, but sometimes I wish I would have gotten the 3 with all my rattles and buzzing!!

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have about 8000 miles on my car which is only 4.5 months young. I did not have any rattles until recently. Now that the days are getting hotter here in Colorado I noticed that rattles occur when the interior is hot after the car has been sitting in the parking lot at the end of the day. In the morning no rattles on the way home all the rattles everyone here speaks about... Has anyone else noticed this phenomenon? If this expansion/contraction is due temperature, then, when attempting to stop the rattle it should be made at the appropriate temp.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts