SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yeeaaahhh... long story short, i wasn't smart, and kept my wastegate disconnected, and i was playing around with my friend on the way home... well, i jarred the exhaust clean off both hangers on the muffler :eek: and once i got that fixed and headed home, i was in second and started boosting and i heard an ungodly scary scraping noise... it's not too loud, and it sorta goes in and out, but my turbo is in trouble, and i really need to start shopping for a new one... i want to use this as a chance to upgrade :cheesy: i was thinking a t3/t4 hybrid... but i have no idea what specs to get for it... i've seen like, 60 trim, 70 trim, i have no idea what it's talking about ;oops: what is the optimal t3/t4 setup? my car is stock at the moment, but i will be modding it later, and my power goals are around... 250-275hp, if that helps

·
Registered
801 Posts
http://www.blaastperformance.com/

Call this guy and tell him you want "What Jake in Maine Has...." lol but seriously any t3/t4 is a huge upgrade (but a little bit of a pain to fit) , but this guy makes a fairly good product and you can find deals from him on the E-bay and he's friendly and will answer his phone should you call him...but his english is a little rough.... either or just get another one of the same....those stock T3s in good shape should be able to handle 20 psi of boost for a solid couple of years:cool:

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dlb said:
250-275 at the wheels or at the crank?
wheels, preferably :) basically i want a sporty little car, but i don't want to have to modify the block, or make it unsafe for my poor little 5 speed transmission :lol:

EDIT: ooh, what about a ball bearing turbo? :cheesy: don't those spool better?

·
Registered
193 Posts
250-275 at the wheels is gonna require a fair amount of work and your tranny prolly wont hold it for long.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
abouuuttt... this much! http://www.blaastperformance.com/index.php?p=t3t04e-60 :lol: i'm on a major budget right now... as it is i'm going to have to wait three weeks before i even have $200 to spend, and i'm looking at selling my AC stuff and my paintball gear, so if i'm lucky, in a month i'll have the money to buy that... if i happen into money though, ball bearing turbo would be awesome :cheesy:

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hmmm... up to 275hp... that'd be me :lol: and it's $50 cheaper (i have oil cooled)... would i have to make an new wastegate setup? or could i use my old one?

·
Registered
193 Posts
I dont want to tell you where to spend your money, i'm just making some suggestions.

What other mods are you planning on to get 250-275? I think your stock wastegate setup will work.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
lots of different mods... bigger exhaust, larger and improved intake piping, new intercooler, uprated injectors with a tuned ECU, and some as of yet unkown ignition mods :lol: equal length headers if that'd help, port and polish intake manifold, larger throttle body if i can find one... if i get another car i can tear the block down though, but i've heard the stock block can handle quite a bit

·
Registered
193 Posts
A good starting point would be to take a look in the project threads if you havent already and see what works and what dosent.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
are you sure it's your turbo making this noise? you've neglected the advice about not letting the wastegate sticking shut, and now have "a noise"...
Daniel.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i'm pretty sure it's my turbo, it only makes the noise when the turbo spools... i'm gonna take apart the intake today and check the shaft play and condition of the blades (though i know one of them is already broken, has been since i got the car)... and i know, i should have listened :cry: i was careful though, i always watched the boost gauge, didn't boost it high very often, but this time i just got too much testosterone playing around with a friend of mine :x

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Well, yeah, check out the turbo. Also, re-connect the hose to the wastegate, so you're sure you don't mess the engine up also...
And when you do get it working again, I would do the APC-mod found on this forum. You can have steady high boost, with security...
Daniel.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Saab-Daniel said:
Well, yeah, check out the turbo. Also, re-connect the hose to the wastegate, so you're sure you don't mess the engine up also...
And when you do get it working again, I would do the APC-mod found on this forum. You can have steady high boost, with security...
Daniel.
i would, but i can't find the resistors ;oops: radio shack doesnt have em :x

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
confirmed, it is the turbo, i took apart the intake and started it up, and revved it, i SAW it put gouge marks in the inside surface, plus the blades.... yeesh, pics! now, the one broken blade was there, but all the others were smooth in the past, observe >_<

formerly:

now:

it's not even a GARRETT!!

EDIT: maybe i was lookin in the wrong spot, but i didn't see them :confused:

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
philb said:
Of course they do. Unless they've stopped selling basic resistors now.
Yeah, radioshack around here has plenty...they might not have the exact one you're looking for, but they'll have a close one.

No wastegate opening = badness.

lol Mike you already have an upgraded turbo! Does it have any of the specs on the side? If there's no shaft play, just get a new wheel!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts