SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, been a while since ive posted here -

I hope everyone had a fun and safe christmas break.

Some things have been happening in my engine that are giving me and my bank account nightmares!

Just a quick refresher, I had a new turbo at 100k when the first one just died due to oil leak - thankfully saab helped out with the cost. Now that was years ago, I'm now at 168k and the same symptoms are happening again, but not as bad, until this week! The engine would hiccup every do often and shudder occasionally this happened during the winter, I changed fuel filter and started to run it on 98RON fuel and she was happy as ever :) and so was I...it would happen every few weeks and sometimes not for months, but then this week - with temperatures in the high 30s (c), driving on the highway at 100kmph it would start happening again, with revs at about 2 and a bit, it would almost miss and would drop below 2 for a split second, like a hiccup and then back up to speed, this would continue for a while driving me and others nuts cause i kept speeding up and slowing down - but the one consistant thing i did notice was it always seems to happen around 2k rpm which leads me to think turbo - it sometimes does happen while idleing, but mainly in heat at speed on cruise (both cruise control and using my foot), when its at its worst I can foot to the floor, it takes off and then just looses power until i take my foot off and it gets better again - but it hasnt been doing that YET...

I'm scared that I'll be up for another new turbo! and i seriously dont have the money - although PFS do have a special on them...

any one have any ideas - ive replaced fuel filter, air filter, just been through full oil service...should i perhaps get my mechanic to take out the turbo and check for damage? I know he really doesnt want to drop the sump but I might just get him to do it. Also, I havent take the cam cover off to check for signs of sludge on the top of the engine - too scared to look!

Apart from that, when she hasnt go the hiccups or isnt sweating like me in 40 degree heat, then she runs like a dream...

Appreciate any feedback -...

Stipud, i think ive told you about this issue before - but its happening again and worse! esp with the heat....

Could there be a possiblilty of a Crank sensor needing replacing? thats easy and cheap...i think i got new plugs...

how about dirty or slightly stuck throttle body? after all its electronic and if it cant move properly.....

anyway, who knows...please all put ur heads together and save me another $3000!

thanks all and have a wonderful saabtastic new year!

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Sounds like a CPS failure. The symptoms described are classic CPS. If it only happens when it heats up and it feels like it's missin. I'd say CPS or DIC. When a turbo goes out you usually get smoke at startup and then gradually smoke all the time. Oil leaks and coolant leaks.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Frank_Drebin said:
Sounds like a CPS failure. The symptoms described are classic CPS.
See now thats what I like to hear :) I can afford that easilly! and from what i hear its super simple to replace? Regardless, i think ill replace it anyway, as for the DI, well, one step at a time, i'll start with the CPS.

Thanks for the reply and again, many appologies for the super long post !

Happy new year to all...

Dave

·
Registered
22,211 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
Clean the throttle body and replace the spark plugs! I didn't see either of those in your list. They're pretty much annualish maintenance requirements.

You DO NOT have symptoms of turbo failure - bad turbo would be (in order) spewing blue smoke, severe loss of power, loud screeching noises, clattering as turbo parts go through engine, waiting at the side of the road for a tow truck contemplating why you didn't get it fixed sooner....

Do you measure your distance in miles or KM?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MacNoob said:
Clean the throttle body and replace the spark plugs! I didn't see either of those in your list. They're pretty much annualish maintenance requirements.

You DO NOT have symptoms of turbo failure - bad turbo would be (in order) spewing blue smoke, severe loss of power, loud screeching noises, clattering as turbo parts go through engine, waiting at the side of the road for a tow truck contemplating why you didn't get it fixed sooner....

Do you measure your distance in miles or KM?
ahahhaa...i love that - that almost happened with the first turbo - anyway, the distance is in KM...almost 170K km...i got my sensor today - cost $200AUD which is ridiculous cause i know i can get it heaaaaaaaaps cheaper online from the US...but oh well...I'm going to do it tomorrow night knowing that the next day is supposed to be 37degrees C so a real good test...apparently a new TB is about $900AUD...again..ridiculous...but ill get this thing fitted first...

Thanks again...

D

·
Registered
199 Posts
microq said:
ahahhaa...i love that - that almost happened with the first turbo - anyway, the distance is in KM...almost 170K km...i got my sensor today - cost $200AUD which is ridiculous cause i know i can get it heaaaaaaaaps cheaper online from the US...but oh well...I'm going to do it tomorrow night knowing that the next day is supposed to be 37degrees C so a real good test...apparently a new TB is about $900AUD...again..ridiculous...but ill get this thing fitted first...

Thanks again...

D
Are you buying your stuff from the stealership?

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Do you have a better.......

avenue of supply locally other than overseas (relative to time factors)?

Do tell!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
AdrianB said:
Are you buying your stuff from the stealership?
Unfortunately yes...I dont know where else to get genuine parts! Occasionally their prices on certain parts are really good - but never the parts you actually need!

Unless someone on this board in Australia knows where to get genuine parts cheaper...

Dave

1 - 10 of 10 Posts