SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I just got my first oil change with my new car. I went to a place and I told them I wanted synthetic oil, the best they've got, and they said ok. So I look on the sheet they gave me "Mobile 1 10W30". I read on the oil guide that 10W30 is not good for my engine becuase it don't have enough pressure or somthing. I drove home with it and it seemed fine, do you think my car is at risk?
Please help.
Tom

·
Super Moderator
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What do I saw to them? Does Saab say that this oil is incorrect and can hurt my car or anything? Like what can I say to justify my aligations?

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
KaMiKaZi_t0M said:
What do I saw to them? Does Saab say that this oil is incorrect and can hurt my car or anything? Like what can I say to justify my aligations?
This topic is debatable, a never ending debate, go by your owners manual.
Best to use 0-40, IMO, BUT, this is only available in the more advanced nations.....In some spot in America it can be found..
Remember, if you want anything short of dental or brain surgery, done absolutely correct, DO IT YOURSELF..
Go by your owner's manual( p148), that is what the shop did...

·
Super Moderator
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just checked the manual, and I don't see anything about type of oil, just how to change your oil. Could this really do any damage to my car? I drove it home and it seemed fine...

·
Super Moderator
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
earthworm said:
This topic is debatable, a never ending debate, go by your owners manual.
Best to use 0-40, IMO, BUT, this is only available in the more advanced nations.....In some spot in America it can be found..
Remember, if you want anything short of dental or brain surgery, done absolutely correct, DO IT YOURSELF..
Go by your owner's manual( p148), that is what the shop did...
I would have done it myself but I just moved and I have no ramps to change my oil. All I want to know is if this will hurt my car. That is my one question. You can delete this thread for all I care. And for your information, theres nothing on page 148 on what wieght oil to use.

·
Super Moderator
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
nbndtrain said:
M1 10W30 will be fine in your car unless you are at Stage 4 etc, etc. It is fine for a stock 97 900.
Thanks for the reasurance. My car has 182k miles on it and I love it, but it doens't need to be in tip top shape. If my oil pressure is a little bit low but the car runs well, thats all I care about right now. 60 bucks for an oil change, thats a crime :evil:

·
Registered
803 Posts
KaMiKaZi_t0M said:
I would have done it myself but I just moved and I have no ramps to change my oil. All I want to know is if this will hurt my car. That is my one question. You can delete this thread for all I care. And for your information, theres nothing on page 148 on what wieght oil to use.
Take it easy. Earthworm wasn't attacking you. He's just very blunt. :cheesy: I looked in my owners manual and it does state what he said on page 148. Are you looking in the manual that came with the car? No offense of course. I believe these weights it mentions are for dino oil. Not synthetic.

·
Super Moderator
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm looking at the one that came with the car :cheesy:. I know that earthworm means well, but I was really really concerned that my car was going to be in bad shape, or that I would have to pay another 60 bucks. I'll keep an ear out for any strange noises or anything odd, but other than that I'll keep driving the way I always do.

...Fast =]

·
Registered
803 Posts
You should go back and tell whoever's in charge that they used oil that you specifically asked them not to use and you want them to both give you another oil change using the oil you asked for, and that you demand to have your money back, since you're not paying for something you asked them not to do.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
For the '97 the viscosity specs will be close to p 148, the index is wanting, to say the least.

If you specified something other than 10W-30 Mobil One, then considering $60 and the ease of the task, they should change the oil again and LISTEN TO THE CUSTOMER !!.
Thats blunt...
We live in a age of hurry-hurry-hurry and greed.
This should change...

NoclueTim does have it right..And Mobil One 10-30 is what I use..
And I'll chage mine, IF the weather breaks, and my "ramps" are several 2 by 6s , that all you really need.:cheesy:

·
Registered
556 Posts
Sleep tight tonight and don't worry - Mobil One 10W-30 is great oil and your engine will love you for it;)! I use it all the time. However it would be interesting to know what source stated that it was not suitable.

·
Registered
70 Posts
IMO, at 186k miles Mobile1 10/30 should be fine. As far as 'driving fast', that's something that will quicken the demise of your engine, especially with that many miles on it regardless of the oil brand or weight. I know Saabs will run forever but you are definately in the home stretch at that mileage.....

·
Registered
70 Posts
nocluetim said:
...... I believe these weights it mentions are for dino oil. Not synthetic.
IIRC oil viscosity has no bearing on dino vs synthetic - although synths are available in a much broader range and down to a zero weight.

Manufacturers that specify synth oil usually do so due to extended service intervals - which I would not recommend, especially the extended oil change intervals - or - they've specified a zero weight that might only be available in synth.

Synths are superior in many ways to dino, but I'd take a dino oil changed frequently (3K-5K) over synth changed at 10K or over.

Oil can be debated for days and days.....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts