SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in a bit of a dilemma as of right now. My pump use to make a whining noise under half a tank, but now, it does any regardless of the fuel level. It sounds like the poor thing is trying to attract a potential mate or perhaps keel over dead. My problem is not knowing which pump(s) to purchase!

The car is an '89 900 Turbo. I understand it has a main pump and a feeder pump. Well, I don't which one is bad or which one caused the problem, so why not replace them both? It's been 20 years and over 200k miles and they're still original.

As you can see here. There is an expensive Bosch main pump, an aftermarket pre-pump, and some Scantech pump listed. Well, that Scantech looks NOTHING like the Bosch main pump, nor anything like the pre-pump, so what the hell is that thing? I would like to do this job as cheap as possible while replacing all necessary components.

Also, looking here can someone tell me which two pumps I would purchase to be set for an install? Could I just purchase both Delphi pumps and would those be considered the main pump and supply pump? I am terribly confused.

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
The Bosch pump and the prepump go together.

The scantech pump was used in a more modern fuel pump bucket type setup, some of the later cars had them.

I would guess your car being an 89 would have the pump/prepump setup, but to be sure, remove hatch floor (two screws) lift, remove fuel pump porthold (pop out) look at top of fuel pump. You can clearly tell from there which one you have.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.