SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I'm on TheSaabSite right now looking at alternator bushings and do I need ARM bushings and BRACKET bushings or one or the other? my alternator shakes bad at idle, evens out under throttle, and May or may not be causing a small idle problem.

Which ones do I get?

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Ok I'm on TheSaabSite right now looking at alternator bushings and do I need ARM bushings and BRACKET bushings or one or the other? my alternator shakes bad at idle, evens out under throttle, and May or may not be causing a small idle problem.

Which ones do I get?
You are probably better off to get replacement bushes for both the tensioning arm and for the main alternator mounting bracket and replace all of them. Also if the belt(s) (pre-85's have one belt, post-84's have two) are looking worn, replace those too as the water pump is driven by the same belt(s) that drive the alternator.

Craig.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are probably better off to get replacement bushes for both the tensioning arm and for the main alternator mounting bracket and replace all of them. Also if the belt(s) (pre-85's have one belt, post-84's have two) are looking worn, replace those too as the water pump is driven by the same belt(s) that drive the alternator.

Craig.
So How bad is this replacement, though. All I have is a basic toolkit (torx key with most all sizes, adj. wrench, hammer, screwdriver, and pliers (adj. and fixed)) am I going to be better off finding someone who knows the car and having them do it?

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
It's not particularly technically challenging, it's just yucky. You'll cut your hands and spend hours working for little progress. Such is alternator work on this car. You'll need allen keys to get the bracket off of the block, which is the hardest part.

Don't forget to put the alternator ground wire back on the block under one of the bracket mounting bolts, or you'll quickly find out how far your car can go on one battery charge:eek:

Also, don't get urethane bushings. Many folks here have had problems with them. Get the rubber ones instead.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright then. Yeah I knew about the urethane problems, so I was already planning on getting rubber ones. *sigh* I guess i'll have to order the parts and take a whack at it.

@c900: (pre-85's have one belt, post-84's have two)
did you mix up pre and post? I have a 91 and even though I haven't taken a good look at it, it seems like I only have one.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Alright then. Yeah I knew about the urethane problems, so I was already planning on getting rubber ones. *sigh* I guess i'll have to order the parts and take a whack at it.

@c900: (pre-85's have one belt, post-84's have two)
did you mix up pre and post? I have a 91 and even though I haven't taken a good look at it, it seems like I only have one.
You have two belts for sure. Also, you may find the bushings locally at Napa. I get mine there same day if I call in the morning for about $6 each.

To do this job you'll need a set of metric wrenches. An adjustable wrench will probably only round off your bolts. First thing to tackle is the A/C pump. Once you remove the belt, you then remove the 2 bolts at the top of the bracket which connect to the cylinder head. Then, you'll find a bolt at the bottom of the bracket which is just above the alternator pivot bolt. Loosen that bolt a little and the A/C should SLIDE off the bolt (it's got an open slot at the bottom). Then, you'll flip and lay the A/C over on the passenger side out of the way, careful not to bend lines. Once you've done this, the bolt that you loosened must come off completely since it is at the top of the alternator mount. Then loosen/remove the alternator belts and I usually remove the tensioner from the alternator so it is free to pivot. Now, remove the pivot nut. Next, remove the allenhead bolt on the alternator mount plate, just to the left of the base of the alternator. This allows you to pivot the base plate since there should only be one bolt remaining and remove the bolt. Now you can take the alternator out, remove the mounting plate and replace the bushings. Install in reverse not forgeting the ground wire from alternator to the engine.

·
Registered
151 Posts
The first time it seems like a puzzle so don't get discouraged. Just remember you can tilt the alternator to get the bolt out that hits the firewall on your first try. :cheesy:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts