SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ooooooooooooooooooooooh, the saab electrical has me, i'm left in total darkness, really, i have now no illumination inside, and no comforting sounds (radio). i posted a while back about non function dash lights, blows the fuse. so i took my saab to the shop to have my shifter adjusted and for him to take a QUICK look at the electrical. he fiddled and thought it was the rheostat. so i cut the wires to it and seperated them, still blows. also i'm getting power to the ground for my stereo which fried it ($200)-gone. now i have no music, no lights, total darkness and my dash in pieces. does anybody have any idea before i take the car in next week to drop $100's-$1,0000 on something so stupid. does the ground to the stereo have any connection possibly? man saab electrical is about as good as volvos, well without the fires. funny thing is, sometimes if i wait a few weeks and pop a fuse in for dash lights they will work for a few minutes then blow, have to wait another few weeks. perhaps and exorcisim would be better?
(edit) oh yeah it has a load fo current, i put a 30A fuse in and it exploded instantly!:eek: -yes science 10 tells me this is not a good idea and never do it again!

·
Registered
604 Posts
How many watts are your bulbs on? Its those bulbs for the main dash lights I am tallking about! There shall be 3 watts in them, if you put 5 watt or more in, you will burn that print, that thin wire carpet on the back and you have a short! I think thats your problem!

·
Banned
7,270 Posts
I think I remember someone posting recently about crap electrics in the 88' and 89' cars. Check the insulation on the wiring loom as this seems to decay and cause massive electrical problems when the wires are exposed and shorting.

95% of the wiring is accessed from the top of the engine bay and enters the cabin at the top of the front footwells. It runs forwards from there and connects to components in the engine bay.

Maybe (although it's a longshot ;) ) you could try looking at the car in the dark as a shorting wire would be easy to spot in the pitch-black.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I'd start with cleaning the ground (wire brush and dielectric grease)an the front cross member rt side behind the radiator.Also check the alternator ground and wires isn't rotted off.:confused: Pat

·
Banned
5,841 Posts
Its sounds like your getting a short somewhere along your wiring loom, check all the bulb holders and then try and check all the wires which come into contact with any metal, it could be worn through, it wouldnt be a big problem just a fiddly one.

Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts