SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
'96 SAAB NG900 SE (R.I.P.), '99 SAAB 9-3
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Seems my right side driveshaft let go. I gave it some beans and now it's super crunchy.

There's a OG 9-3 diesel at the wreckers and i thought i'd take the driveshaft from that.
I know petrol 9-3 driveshafts fit but what about the diesel ones??

The shaft is welded, which is nice. The splines on the NG900 driveshafts wear and corrode, which is why i want the solid ones, i already have two sets of NG900 driveshafts, which have corroded and worn out splines.

Edit: also what about OG 9-5 driveshafts? I've looked up some pics and they look pretty much the same, are there any differences?

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
9-5 driveshafts definitely won't work. They're too long, and the CV joints are too big. The Viggen actually uses shortened 9-5 driveshafts, but their struts have spots ground out to accommodate the larger CV joints, and their differential is somewhat different.

I don't see any reason why the 9-3's one-piece driveshaft wouldn't work on a NG900. They're essentially the same car. I actually pulled the one out of a parts car I have to use on my NG900 in case mine ever needs replacing, but I haven't looked at the car in enough detail to know for sure if it would fit.

·
Registered
18,391 Posts
I believe the length of the splined/threaded section is different on the ng900 vs. the 9-3 on the passenger side axle. I forget which model is longer, but they are different.

I bought an axle a while back and when mounted through the hub the difference was apparent. That is, unless they gave me one for a V6 and that's different in another way... I don't really know what was in the box, but I know it wasn't right. Check that before buying.

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
The two cars use the same wheel bearings, hubs, axle nuts, and wheels, and the driver's side CV axle is shared between the 900 and 9-3, so that doesn't sound right to me.

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
Rockauto.com suggests that the left axle is the same, but the right axle is different. Maybe something with the intermediate shaft?

·
Registered
12,793 Posts
The intermediate shaft includes the companion flange on the 9-3 (except Viggen) and the axle itself just has the open tripod bearing. On the 900 the intermediate shaft is just a shaft and the axle includes the companion flange (the Viggen also shares this arrangement). But if you are willing to swap out both the intermediate shaft and axle then you can swap between 9-3 (non Viggen) and 900.

·
Registered
'96 SAAB NG900 SE (R.I.P.), '99 SAAB 9-3
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well then i'll get a 9-3 driveshaft next weekend.
Looks like i'll be riding the bus because a one wheel drive car is no fun :lol:

·
Registered
18,391 Posts
The intermediate shaft includes the companion flange on the 9-3 (except Viggen) and the axle itself just has the open tripod bearing. On the 900 the intermediate shaft is just a shaft and the axle includes the companion flange (the Viggen also shares this arrangement). But if you are willing to swap out both the intermediate shaft and axle then you can swap between 9-3 (non Viggen) and 900.

If this is true (and I have no reason to doubt it :)... what was the passenger side axle that I bought one time as a reman that looked just like a 9-3 axle at first glance but had a splined / threaded section too short... such that the nut could not be put on properly?

·
Registered
12,793 Posts
A poor quality aftermarket part? Regardless of 900/9-3/Viggen the threaded stub that the axle nut screws onto should be the same length (give or take) since the wheel bearings and hubs are all the same. Or maybe it was misboxed/labeled at the factory.

·
Registered
18,391 Posts
A poor quality aftermarket part? Regardless of 900/9-3/Viggen the threaded stub that the axle nut screws onto should be the same length (give or take) since the wheel bearings and hubs are all the same. Or maybe it was misboxed/labeled at the factory.

Ah yes, the first part of your statement. It was a new Chinese axle, which I had purchased when I could not find a decent "rebuilt" axle from Cardone. Probably just incorrectly spec'ed... I was thinking that they'd put an NG900 axle in the 9-3 box. It was a good match otherwise.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts