SaabCentral Forums banner

OG9-3 Idle pulley photos

260 Views 4 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  Mort
Some may recall my issue with the water pump, short belt mod, idle pulley and air-con at Christmas.
I thought I'd post some photos of the destroyed idle pulley etc.
I was lucky to have a spare belt and pulley in the car, however, when the air-con pulley broke, I needed a short belt - which I didn't have at the time.

Below: Here are 2 idle pulleys side by side - the top one is a metal & hard plastic style 'assume proparts' version, and the bottom is a metal version - with its box and part number visible.
Grey Automotive tire Font Gas Rectangle

Below: this is the idle pulley.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Automotive wheel system Flash photography

Below: Idle pulley, and air-con clutch.
Tire Wheel Window Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Below: as per above.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel Wood Gas

Detail from Air-Con Pulley.
Tire Automotive tire Window Tread Wheel
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
Current: 2000 9-3 Aero 5d, Family: 85 900i 3dr.
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The working theory we have at the moment is:
The water pump bearing started to fail - which caused the air con pulley to be slightly out of alignment. Then both impacted on each other - with the water pump bearing failing first.
The destroyed idle pulley was caused by the failure of the air-con clutch.
When changing the idle pulley and belt roadside - the air-con pulley was still working, however, this was only for approximately 200km. It was at this point the air-con pulley destroyed itself.
Resulting in the need for a short belt...

It is possible that the air-con was the cause of everything - as the water pump only had approx 25k km and 4 years on it.

· Registered
Current: 2000 9-3 Aero 5d, Family: 85 900i 3dr.
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting. I knew the Wazzee versions were the best upgrade, and I looked for those a while ago, but sadly they are no longer available. The OEM pulley appeared to be all metal, but I could have been mistaken.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts