SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Current: 2000 9-3 Aero 5d, Family: 85 900i 3dr.
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a recent you-tube clip where the front speakers were replaced with a newer Alpine set (SXE-0825S). Unfortunately, the Saab in the clip was a NG9-3, so I'm sure the mount specs might be different.
I'm sure my speakers are getting past their use-by date soon and might need refreshing - so I was just curious about these alpines.

·
Registered
426 Posts
If those are 3.5" speakers I am sure they will fit. I dropped in some 3.5 Kickers, perfect fit and as I recall there is room in the opening so you will have flexibility and could make a baffle if needed.

·
Registered
10,536 Posts
If I recall, there is rather more room and flexibility in the NG900/OG9-3 dash corner speaker locations than on the NG9-3. The same size speaker fits both, but can be fiddlier for the NG9-3. You do want to avoid something that has a tweeter projecting above the mounting plate.

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
Mort , in oz 3.5 are hard to come by , I currently work for the company you reference and have been picking the brains of the Gurus.
Note that S series speakers are at the starting level , R series a good step up and x series considered the absolute .
I am currently working through the best way to go and experimenting ... The options are very limited if you are locked into retaining original head unit and amp ... I have not seen 3.5's in the r Series nor for that matter in the S series ( only import i believe)
Are you working with original Head unit ? If yes then simply replacing with similar to what you show is the simplest and cheapest

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
Mort , in oz 3.5 are hard to come by , I currently work for the company you reference and have been picking the brains of the Gurus.
Note that S series speakers are at the starting level , R series a good step up and x series considered the absolute .
I am currently working through the best way to go and experimenting ... The options are very limited if you are locked into retaining original head unit and amp ... I have not seen 3.5's in the r Series nor for that matter in the S series ( only import i believe)
Are you working with original Head unit ? If yes then simply replacing with similar to what you show is the simplest and cheapest
The other point to make Mort is that if the door speakers are original they will be toast , these are off the factory amp and are for the low frequencies ( bass) . One of the options I am trying is using a Combination set RS65.c2 and having the tweeter replace the 3.5 , its not plug and play though as the factory feed to the door speakers is filtered .
As siad its a work in progress. :)

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, Aussie. I have the original head unit, and only recently reinstalled the CD changer that was also original.
I started looking into the alternative speakers because the factory ones are no longer available new based on the reports I've seen so far. I know the mounting depth is important, based on what others have said. As I have an OG9-3 Aero Hatch - I have 6 speakers to consider all up.
I was looking at the alpine speakers based on Excellent Brand quality and reputation, and a recent video.
Our C900 has an alpine head unit - after the original factory one was stolen.
I hadn't looked into the quality levels yet, as I was just curious about installation first. Having said that - I don't mind paying extra for some added quality. Thank you for the guidance about quality codes.
I was under the impression that I would have to import the speakers, as local suppliers are not likely to have much Saab orientated knowledge - in particular an OG9-3.
My speakers are not toasted yet, but given the harsh Aussie sun - it is only a matter of time. I was looking into this as part of a longer-term project - as I don't use my car every day, and like most items, I need to consider replacement and renewal options.
It would be beneficial to all AUS related Saab owners - if you could share some knowledge and guidance if possible, based on your adventures and subject matter knowledge.

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
Thanks, Aussie. I have the original head unit, and only recently reinstalled the CD changer that was also original.
I started looking into the alternative speakers because the factory ones are no longer available new based on the reports I've seen so far. I know the mounting depth is important, based on what others have said. As I have an OG9-3 Aero Hatch - I have 6 speakers to consider all up.
I was looking at the alpine speakers based on Excellent Brand quality and reputation, and a recent video.
Our C900 has an alpine head unit - after the original factory one was stolen.
I hadn't looked into the quality levels yet, as I was just curious about installation first. Having said that - I don't mind paying extra for some added quality. Thank you for the guidance about quality codes.
I was under the impression that I would have to import the speakers, as local suppliers are not likely to have much Saab orientated knowledge - in particular an OG9-3.
My speakers are not toasted yet, but given the harsh Aussie sun - it is only a matter of time. I was looking into this as part of a longer-term project - as I don't use my car every day, and like most items, I need to consider replacement and renewal options.
It would be beneficial to all AUS related Saab owners - if you could share some knowledge and guidance if possible, based on your adventures and subject matter knowledge.
The dashboard speakers are increibly resilient considering the beating they get , the first sign of them getting worse for wear is the visible crumbling of the dual cone.
Your door ones will be toast Mort , I can guarantee it , to date I have removed door panels from 3 og 9-3's , 2 viggens (my99) 1 Aero (my00) all 6 speakers had the same problem , you will hear the vibration in yours if you crank up the voulme and the bass . The Material ( like a foam ) that supports the cone to the Metal surround rots , will include a pic of my sons car that I am currently working on. Before I knew better , I put a set of new Kicker 6.5 Co axials in there place and they sounded WORSE , they were instantly removed. The reason is the signal from the factory AMP is low range ( frequencies) so if you want to keep using the factory amp then stick to Bass woofers in the doors . From then I started to take that amp out of the equation
Alpine was the brand of choice for Saab australia in the C900's . Hens teeth and sought after for anyone restoring .
I have a complete Alpine head unit, equaliser, Amp and centre speaker that was the premium unit fitted into the 89 aero , Its in a box awaiting the day that car gets restored , been sitting a long time now !

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Aussie - Thanks for your advice and observations..
I looked up Alpine RS65.C2 - Interesting.
I found multiple results using SXE-0825S as the front dash speaker in an OG9-3, so It's safe to say I could use it. Looks like 150w, and price-wise $100 plus shipping. I'd probably draw the line at $250-300 for a pair personally.

Front door wise - I found Alpine SXE-1725S - but this seems to be the NG9-3 related.
I did come across an unnamed german brand - that was reported to be suitable for the OG9-3. Here is the eBay link.

Unfortunately, I did want to retain the 'stock factory' setup, as you have found I guess - searching for alternatives is generally forcing a new system upgrade.
Do you know all the sizes for the factory speakers (dash, door, and rear hatch), and any special considerations ie mounting depth?
Are these found in the WIS or has someone listed them in the OG9-3 or Audio forums?
I'd really like to know those before I start searching in detail. Would be great if someone could link them.

·
Registered
10,536 Posts
In my experience, if all the speakers are physically okay, then replacing the dash corner speakers may be all you need. (Door speakers are fine on both my 9-5 and NG9-3. I didn't have door speakers on my NG900.) The factory dash speakers, whether the OG9-3 with or without a tweeter, or the Harman Kardon speaker system in the uplevel 9-5 system, or the Pioneer in the uplevel NG9-3 system, just don't sound good to me. Papery and distorted.

My 9-5 has Boston Acoustics 3.5" speakers and they sound great. I have Kickers in the NG9-3, but if I could find better 3.5" speakers, I would install them. (I would totally install Boston Acoustics speakers, but good luck finding any. The 3.5" came out of my NG900.)

·
Registered
426 Posts
Agree with EdT, my Kickers (door and dash) are OK, but way better than stock. All 6 of my stock had rotted foam, sounded horrible

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
Unfortunately, I did want to retain the 'stock factory' setup, as you have found I guess - searching for alternatives is generally forcing a new system upgrade.
Do you know all the sizes for the factory speakers (dash, door, and rear hatch), and any special considerations ie mounting depth?
Are these found in the WIS or has someone listed them in the OG9-3 or Audio forums?
I'd really like to know those before I start searching in detail. Would be great if someone could link them.
Dash 3.5 Inch . I havent meaured the depth but there is significant clearance there , unlikely to be an issue. I know that in 900's that is actually an issue as units with massive magnets used to impact on a speed transmitter used by the ECU , not applicable here , those ones you showed initially should fit , you also need to be aware of grilll clearance , but those would be fine .

Front Doors , 6.5 Inch round. The stock speaker is mounted to a basket that is mounted to the door , ( protects the rear of the speaker from water ingress) . The front face of the basket has a lip around its outside circumeference , the stock speakers fit inside this lip, they are not totally round , somewhat oval , to fit aftermarket this lip needs to be removed to obtain a flat surface as the aftermarket are round and wont fit inside this lip .

Rear in a hatch 6 x 9 , the ones I have used (alpine ) will not drop in to the recess and sit flat , the body of the speaker fouls on the factory hole . To get around this you simply fit the speaker from the underside of the factory recess , so it bolts up to it , rather than sits in it .

In al instances no impact on facory grilles ,
All factory speakers I have seen have been marked as 4 Ohm , which is the standard impedance in aftermarket .

If you do decide to swap Doors and remain stock , remember that the signal delivered by the amp is Low range , so it is pointless trying to fit Co axial style speakers that would cater for a broader frequency range . You would look for a Woofer that was not coaxial ( not that easy to find unless you get a get a componenet set like the one I showed you and then you do not use the crossover and tweeter(

Eg in my Aero I have just fitted the woofer from the RS65C.2 and the x over and tweeter are not used .
The sound is ok , but it is genuinely limited by the factory head unit and amp .
Like you I like to stay original and have done so in my Aero and Viggen ,, with the only real variance adding the mod con of AUX and updating speakers . In my daily driver ( og 9-3 vert) I have gone totally aftermarket , lost the headunit and lost the factory amp . If depends on the objective mort , if its originality but slightly better , yeah just update speakers.
If your going for quality in sound , well aftermarket is the path.
The sound in my daily driver is astounding , and at this stage It just runs off the head unit amp .

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Excellent - That's some great info. It will help me with my searches. If I do get stuck or need advice, it seems like you know the details and some of the pitfalls or workarounds quite well.
Thanks, Aussie and everyone else.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts