SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm working on getting the engine out of my car and I've just a few more things to disconnect. My plan is to put the engine with transmission and perhaps also the subframe onto a rolling board and then lift up the car leaving the engine on the ground.

According to all the instructions I've been looking at (Haynes, forums) I should be able to loosen the AC-compressor from the engine and just put it to the side. However, I can't see how I will be able to lower the engine with the water pump still attached without crashing into the AC-compressor. (See image, AC-compressor in red, water pump in blue.)

Anyone who knows this process and can tell me if I must remove the water pump or if I somehow can accomplish this anyway and if so - how?

Thanks, Magnus

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks @EdT,

I couldn't get my old WIS running on anything modern, but actually found the modified 64-bit versions of WIS and EPC yesterday which I will try and fire up tonight.

Thanks for the information, I'll continue freeing up the engine and assume I will be able to swing the compressor over at a later stage!

·
Registered
884 Posts
once you disconnnect the a/c you can csrefully maneuver it under or over the frame, just habe something to secure so it doesnt drop and kink hose. between moving the a/c and sliding the engine and tranny around you should have clearance. its also easy to remove the water pump and ps pump and prob worth the time to do it. id take off the exhaust manifild and turbo too. the more room the better.

are you using an engine lift to raise frame? I've pulled frkm the top and bottom and my preference is to remove intake and exhaust, lower the tranny, seperate the engine and hoist out the top. i just pulled my viggen's engine and didnt even have to disonnect the hood support.

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
If you unbolt & unhook the compressor you can tie it forwards, out of the way, and the engine has clearance to move backwards and clear it. Works fine.

You can remove the water pump and power steering pump. And in fact if you're careful you can actually leave the entire power steering system in place and unopened with the strategic use of zip ties. :) But, it's not necessary.

I prefer getting the subframe completely out of the way and lowering the engine+trans directly onto a furniture dolly.

All that said, if you're pulling the motor you might consider just replacing the AC compressor. It's not expensive for '00-'02 9-3s, and IME they tend to fail around 140k. No better time to do that work than when the engine is already coming out.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I’ve already done the A/C clutch kit on this compressor. I set the drivetrain down on a dolly, then lifted the front end high enough (with an engine hoist) to pull the engine out through the driver side wheel well. It’s not too difficult, in the scheme of things, to maneuver the compressor around as you need it with a strap.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Many thanks to all of you,

I spent a few minutes in the garage yesterday and now, with your help, I can see how I will be able to get the AC compressor out of the way.

@jmkcc - I don't own an engine hoist, so I'll try to offload the engine from its mounts with a beam over the fenders. Guess that should work? The turbo and exhaust manifold are already out of the way. I have been suspecting a bad head gasket for a few years (have only driven the car a few hundred km during that time), due to unlocated coolant leak, sugary exhaust smell and very severe cold starting issues.

Last time I started the car there were huge amounts of burnt oil coming form the exhaust pipe, making me suspect the turbo, but I can't feel any axial play and only very minor radial. Also, I did not see any oil at all in the turbo, which I had expected. Are there any other tricks to evaluate the turbo's condition?

@jvanabra - I think I will follow your advice and get rid of the sub-frame to start with. I'm not sure, but I think the AC-compressor was replaced just before I bought the car six years ago, and the car has only been used for 30.000 km (19.000 miles) since. Are there any signs to look for when evaluating the compressor's condition? How about the water pump, is it routine maintenance to replace it? (The meter is at around 200.000 km or 125.000 miles.)

@summerof96 - Thanks for the photos!

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
DEFINITELY replace the water pump. It is cheap, and a real PITA in the car. Not doing it while the engine out is a major oversite IMHO.

I think you're going to want that engine hoist. You need to get the powertrain out of the engine bay onto the ground, then the car over the engine. Nevermind positioning the engine back in place when you're done.

You can often rent hoists from equipment rental places for cheap, or buy one one HF (or off CL) for not much more. I don't think I would attempt moving an engine without a hoist.

·
Registered
884 Posts
With Memorial day around the corner you can probably score a few HF 20 or 25% coupons and pick up an engine hoist, engine stand and/or their cheap engine bar to support the engine when dropping sub frame.

After coupons in my region, their gray eng hoist is $135, support beam is under $60 and decent 4 wheel I base stand w/4 wheels is $45. I picked up all three over the years and have used them way more than I care to admit. Not shop quality sturdy enough and good for many, many pulls.

Do you have a stand now and how do you lift the engine to mount it?

How are you approaching the wiring harness? I like to disconnect the ground points under the intake and remove the harness with its rail and flop it over the fender. Makes it easier to inspect the wiring, injectors, vacuum lines and throttle body coolant lines. Lots of people disconnect the harness inside the cabin and pull it through the firewall leaving the engine wiring attached.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@jmkcc - Thanks for your suggestions, I live in the home country of SAAB, so no Memorial Day, but I did buy an engine hoist at, what I guess is, our equivalent to "HF". I'm not confident that I will be able to operate my car lift carefully enough, so its probably good with some support from above the engine too. I don't own an engine stand at the moment, but am afraid I'll have to get one of those too, unless I can make something up. I'm not so concerned about costs, because I will have the tools for many years, but I'm very concerned about all the space they occupy when not being used...

The wiring harness has been disconnected from the ECU/heat controller and pulled out of the engine room wall, so I plan to go over the injectors etc. when everything is out of the car.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts