SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to change the dip stick moulding for one with a side outlet nipple and connect it with a "T" piece to the pipe returning from the oil trap and going eventually into the intake side of the turbo and wondered what you more knowledgeable folks thought since I'm leaving the oil trap as is. Please advise.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What are you aiming to accomplish?
I suppose to improve blow-bye evacuation. The car has 63k on the clock and the rubber piping is hard/solid and I'd say in good shape but I admit I cannot see what's inside. Since the #6 revision did not stay for very long I conclude it wasn't much help to the sludge problem and as far as I can tell the increase to the little hole in the outlet from the oil catch vessel seems to be about it. I concluded that the evacuation from the dip stick vessel might be of some help, hence my proposed top only change. What do you think? I bought new original style tubing as well just not the tube with the check valve in it.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I agree w above. People have installed catch cans and things only to find it was an unnecessary waste of time - no blow by and no issues with update #6
I suspect there will still be blow by but the job is to get it to the turbo input. I feel the lack of flow/partial blockage in the pipe and to the little hole in the catch can is what causes the problems.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I suspect there will still be blow by but the job is to get it to the turbo input. I feel the lack of flow/partial blockage in the pipe and to the little hole in the catch can is what causes the problems.
Yes thinking of normal engine blow by, pipe age and sump sludge from what might be shed from soft old PCV piping. I find it difficult to imagine that much positive turbo pressure really needing the additional check valves in the #6 system. My aim is not to take off the sump too soon for cleaning and prevent the leaking oil from the known points dripping on to my garage floor - with the help of the synthetic oil for high mileage engines. That's the plan - I'm getting on and it's not so easy getting under these days.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
63k is nothing, in any sense of modern car engines. I don't even start to consider age on an H motor until 200k is within view. PCV #6 is well proven, and you need to remember on boosted cars PCV is not a simple matter. I would not second guess the manufacturer without some serious engineering background.
Well I had another clue, and it was spots on a piece of card under the car after driving about 50 miles and keeping my foot off the accelerator to maintain a zero boost situation or the boost control was dumping the pressure created by the turbo. It was then I realized the reason for the check valves in the #6 PCV hoses since the pressure must have been going back to the crankcase and + ve pressure = oil leaks.
I think I'll get the full #6 kit, that's my thinking.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
PCV update #6 arrived today and in checking it out I was surprised by the flow direction going into the side tap in the dipstick cup. Since I have one I think I will fit new piping to run from the valve cover to the oil trap, it was not included in the kit since I guess it didn't change. Surprising also just how weak the plastic outlet from the valve cover had become in 22 years of use. Thank you all for your helpful comments, tinkering tomorrow.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts