SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
Someone wacked my drivers door.. paid me 1k cash. I'm now shopping around for a replacement door and fender...

I found a few donors, 3 are 97 900se verts corrus white and 1 is a 01 og93 so vert cirrus white.

The og93 door is flawless. The others have flaws. Yard wants 250 for the og93 door.
Do i have to worry about anything electrical for this door swap? Or is it a direct swap?

Also any huge different between the white they used for the og93 vs the ng900?

Thinking about taking the front and rear bumpers too.

·
Registered
9,308 Posts
They used the same Cirrus White color for all of the years you're looking at. I have a 2000 9-5 that's Cirrus White, and one thing I've noticed is that the paint yellows at different rates on different cars. I've swapped out two of the doors with junkyard ones, and there's a very slight color mismatch between the panels now. One of these days I'll try going over everything with a light rubbing compound with my machine polisher, but I'm not too hopeful that it will do much. Still, for what I paid for the doors, a slight color mismatch is preferable to a huge dent in the door. I've also swapped out the hood and fenders on my black 1997 900 with parts from a 2000 9-3. Like several body shops have told me, black is black, and there's no discernible difference in the paint, even though there was no clearcoat used in 1997, and there was in 2000.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for this info! I'm with you on this. I dont mind a mismatch vs a messed up door. Are the panels easy to swap? Inhave a guy replacing my floor pan in a few months. If the price is right, how nuts would it be to purchase all the panels doors etc and swap onto my 900? This 93 is pristine. I almost want to ask how much for whole car and If it runs... pic of my 900 attached. Can I swap panels myself?

·
Registered
9,308 Posts
It's not all that hard. I replaced both fenders on my NG900 after a pair of accidents. They just bolt on, but you do have to take off the side skirt and at least pull the side of the front bumper out, since there are screws hidden under those parts. The door is extremely easy to swap. Unplug the electrical connector and take off three bolts. Just make sure you have a helper for that part, since it's heavy. Other than the hood, fenders, doors, and hatch, there aren't any other panels you can swap. The rest are welded to the body.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you! So I'm reading that the electrical on a 9-3 door wont line up on my 900 frame. Slightly different. Should I bother messing with a 9-3 door? I'm thinking its mirrors and window. I downloaded the wis.. need to install.

·
Registered
7,883 Posts
I would be careful in assuming that bits swap over between NG900 and OG9-3. For example, the 9-3 has side airbags and presumably side airbag sensors in the doors. What this will do to the 900's airbag system I don't know.

You can look in WIS at the door connectors for the two models. If the wiring isn't identical, I'd start to worry.

ETA: if you can get the door to open and close properly (maybe with a bit of bending where the damage is), you could just drive until you found a suitable donor car. I know I've seen a white NG900, about a 1995 from the looks of it, parked regularly, but that's in Toronto and the owner is still driving it so maybe not that helpful for you.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I looked at wiring as all suggested in wis.. its safe and easier to just wait for a good ng900 door. I keep asking the gettysberg pa yard to send me pics of the white ng900 they have.. but havent gotten them yet. I found one in another part of PA but it has some scratches. Pic attached. What do you think?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's hard to see in quality of the upload.. but the paint is scratched on that raised detent on door. All circles in red

·
Registered
16,902 Posts
Looks like it's been in storage or the yard for a very long time. Look at the stains coming down off the mirror area. Dropped in the dirt too like a typical New England yard. It would be good to see the bottom of it to see if the lower edge is rusted.

Have you checked car-part.com? Might be something nicer. There aren't usually a lot of $ differences between top quality and barely usable quality for cars our age.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey bob! That's how I found this door! Found this in PA out by Harrisburg. Also found a 2001 or 2000 93 white vert.. but electrics are different. The 3rd donor is in gettysberg but still trying to get them to send pics. Yeah the staining was troubling to me... lots of dampness and shade. No gooood

1 - 13 of 13 Posts