SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The inside of my car was smelling damp so i decided to lift the carpets and found some water. Then i pulled the foam insulation from under the carpets, and there were literally puddles of water, half of gallon and still wooshing out if if squish the insulation.

Where can this be from? AC or Sunroof?

I know where the sunroof drain holes are (front corners of the sunroof) will clean them out. I have already cleaned the sunroof tubes that drain in the trunk (outside the trunk actually, but they used to drain inside the trunk when it was clogged).

I don't know where the AC drain hose is... one end should be under the car somewhere?

·
Registered
420 Posts
I once had water in the footwell of my car and found it to be due to the door lining seal being torn. that wasn't a Saab ('99 Mondeo actually) but the same might apply.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea, i checked that but the door seal seems solid. also there's no water on water around the edges of the door.

i believe the water is coming from the AC unit but i don't see any drain hoses coming out it, took out the glove box so i can see what's inside, i see the stepper motors but no hoses...

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
There are a pair of drain hoses in the engine compartment on the firewall, one right above the other. One's referred to as an "elephant's trunk" for obvious reasons, when you see it. Make sure they're both cleaned out. One drains the area underneath the cowling, and the other is for the AC.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
This might help

http://www.townsendimports.com/Saab_TSB_Folder/Saab_TSB_pdfs/854_2233.PDF

I had staining on the passenger side footwell in my 2002 5-door (in the UK), when it was about 3 years old. Up where your feet would be if you stretched out, i.e. the nearly vertical part of the carpet.

Apparently this is what the dealership did although of course I couldn't see it, and forgot to look for it when I dismantled the car years later. Thee were no more leaks though.

Doug

·
Registered
197 Posts
I had the same issue and solved it.

Rain was filling the space under the windshield where the wiper arms and cabin air filter are hiding above the firewall. This area is designed to fill with water, and then drain through holes on both sides of the firewall, and the elephant hose in the middle drains behind the motor. The plastic assembly that covers the cabin air fan motor and filter have a few gaskets to allow the water to fill up a certain amount before draining without allowing water into the cabin.

Your gaskets are probably toast, or the assembly is not tightened properly, or there is something blocking the drains anyway.

I took off the front wiper arm and motor, and cleared all parts/pieces so that I could create new 'gaskets' on top of the old rubber gaskets in the cabin air filter assembly etc. I used high-temp silicone in the gasket area, then placed the old gaskets on top. This prevented water from bypassing the cabin air filter and pouring into my passenger footwell.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks man, that really helped.

i first fixed the first leak i found, the sunroof drain hose was split (actually it's a little plastic thingy that connects the sunroof drain to the actual hose) - water was pouring from the sunroof, to the A pillar and into the passenger footwell (less than an inch of the ecu, glad it survived). so i fixed that and few days later it rained - thought i check the footwell again, lots and lots of water.

then i got your reply and i started checking the cabin fan gasket - it was toast. i used silicone, created a proper seal over the old one, now fingers crossed - but i guess that was the problem.

·
Registered
197 Posts
thanks man, that really helped.

i first fixed the first leak i found, the sunroof drain hose was split (actually it's a little plastic thingy that connects the sunroof drain to the actual hose) - water was pouring from the sunroof, to the A pillar and into the passenger footwell (less than an inch of the ecu, glad it survived). so i fixed that and few days later it rained - thought i check the footwell again, lots and lots of water.

then i got your reply and i started checking the cabin fan gasket - it was toast. i used silicone, created a proper seal over the old one, now fingers crossed - but i guess that was the problem.

Awesome, glad I could finally help someone on here :) I read about those other causes for water leaks, but my car just happened to only have this gasket issue, no other clogs so far.

·
Registered
137 Posts
There are a pair of drain hoses in the engine compartment on the firewall, one right above the other. One's referred to as an "elephant's trunk" for obvious reasons, when you see it. Make sure they're both cleaned out. One drains the area underneath the cowling, and the other is for the AC.
Yup. Elephants trunk was choked on mine a while back.
I take it out regularly now , amazing what crud collects in there (pine needles are a nightmare in my area) and water very quickly backs up

1 - 9 of 9 Posts