SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my 9-3 keeps throwing these annoying check soft top latch message on the SID. I assume it`s the microswitch at the windshield, but if I look into the latching points I can`t see them. In my previous NG900 they were visible and could be identified easily if they were broken. Could somebody point it out for me how to get access to them? Oddly, i can`t hear any clicking noise when I close the roof, so at this point I`m not totally sure if the 9-3 system has the same sort of microswitches as the NG900... Thanks!

·
Registered
404 Posts
They are reed switches inside the windscreen frame, on a 9-3. Activated by a magnet in the first bow of the roof

Might be easier to find the wire (see workshop info system online) and wire a switch across it....

·
Registered
89 Posts
Ahh, that explains why I can’t hear the click when closing the latch. I found this, seems useful for diagnostics.
You don't necessarily need Tech 2 as such. Other diagnostic tools can tell you a lot about whether the switches are actually working or not. You can view in real time, the actual logic state of any and all of the switches as they operate sequentially. Try to get your hands on an older laptop-based AUTOCOM CDP (around £ 60 on fleabay for early versions)
Worthwile mentioning that as it's older, it more easily holds an electronic "conversation" with OG 93 - think of it like being Steven Hawking didn't like to converse with the relative village idiot, which kinda explains why even higher end Autel tools won't do things like resetting the SRS warning light, whereas the Autocom village idiot seems to get along quite nicely thx very much and manages to do things the Autel big boys won't do. OK, so it's great if you can get hands on a Tech 2, but it's not the end of the world if you cant, for simple things like switch status etc.

·
Registered
648 Posts
the first problem is your assuming its the windshield latches, there are many micro switches contained within the roof process, The tech2 lets you know which one is faulty or throwing you a code, as these cars age the micro switches that have little levers on them get bent and don't trip.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You don't necessarily need Tech 2 as such. Other diagnostic tools can tell you a lot about whether the switches are actually working or not. You can view in real time, the actual logic state of any and all of the switches as they operate sequentially. Try to get your hands on an older laptop-based AUTOCOM CDP (around £ 60 on fleabay for early versions)
Worthwile mentioning that as it's older, it more easily holds an electronic "conversation" with OG 93 - think of it like being Steven Hawking didn't like to converse with the relative village idiot, which kinda explains why even higher end Autel tools won't do things like resetting the SRS warning light, whereas the Autocom village idiot seems to get along quite nicely thx very much and manages to do things the Autel big boys won't do. OK, so it's great if you can get hands on a Tech 2, but it's not the end of the world if you cant, for simple things like switch status etc.
Lol, I like the analogy.
I already fixed this issue, I just walked to the junkyard, pulled two latches, swapped them, error message is gone ever since. Anyway, I`d need a Tech 2 to make the factory radio work, if you have an alternative idea apart from getting a Tech 2 for a few hundreds, I`d appreciate it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts