SaabCentral Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Immobilizer chip is built into the key not the fob. It’s passive and is activated by an electrical current passing through a coil surrounding the ignition switch.

·
Registered
6,749 Posts
Not to be a ****, but you can just bypass TWICE on a '99 T5. Just directly ground one side of the starter relay coil, I think it's terminal 85. Voila, TWICE bypassed. Is it a good idea? Nope. But it can be done. You'll still get the warning on SID, but the car will start.

Edit: The starter will work. Doesn't mean the car will start - still gotta have a working fuel injection system for that to happen. From post #8, it seems like that's an additional, separate issue. On a T5 car, TWICE only inhibits the starter - it doesn't affect the ECM like it does on a T7 car.

·
Registered
18,232 Posts
Mimmi: Have you ever tried programming new keys w/Tech II after using the remote to "unlock" the starting system? Will the Tech II allow that? I'm thinking "no", but I don't know if it's been tried.

OP: ^ The "chips" I'd seen farmed previously were little coil looking thingys. But I'm not really familiar with that specific key's guts. Rather than being physically missing, I'd guess it's just defective or lost the code. I'd be hesitant to reprogram it as it might have the same issue again at an inconvenient time.

[FYI - I have one of those vertical transponder keys with guts that I could sell you cheap. You could then replace the guts of yours and you'd have a working second key that matches your locks. However, you'd still have to swap the TWICE and go with Tech II programming. (Also, I need to locate it. All my stuff is in storage and I'm running 1:4 on finding stuff I go look for. But I can give it a shot if you're interested).I also have key backs for ALL-IN-1 keys and spare ALL-In-1 guts if you'll be adding that type of key... but I need to verify I can find those too (All in the same bag :). You still need the replacement TWICE with matched ALL-In-1, and a VIN cut key (new).]

One thought: You could temporarily do the "T5 bypass option" so that you can at least drive to a Tech II to get the TWICE swap done. Then disconnect it and do the proper programming once you're at the Tech II location.

If it's $125 for programming where you are... and viewing the fact that you might have other difficulties along the way here, I'd say the argument for that clone Tech II is getting stronger.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Mimmi: Have you ever tried programming new keys w/Tech II after using the remote to "unlock" the starting system? Will the Tech II allow that? I'm thinking "no", but I don't know if it's been tried.

OP: ^ The "chips" I'd seen farmed previously were little coil looking thingys. But I'm not really familiar with that specific key's guts. Rather than being physically missing, I'd guess it's just defective or lost the code. I'd be hesitant to reprogram it as it might have the same issue again at an inconvenient time.

[FYI - I have one of those vertical transponder keys with guts that I could sell you cheap. You could then replace the guts of yours and you'd have a working second key that matches your locks. However, you'd still have to swap the TWICE and go with Tech II programming. (Also, I need to locate it. All my stuff is in storage and I'm running 1:4 on finding stuff I go look for. But I can give it a shot if you're interested).I also have key backs for ALL-IN-1 keys and spare ALL-In-1 guts if you'll be adding that type of key... but I need to verify I can find those too (All in the same bag :). You still need the replacement TWICE with matched ALL-In-1, and a VIN cut key (new).]

One thought: You could temporarily do the "T5 bypass option" so that you can at least drive to a Tech II to get the TWICE swap done. Then disconnect it and do the proper programming once you're at the Tech II location.

If it's $125 for programming where you are... and viewing the fact that you might have other difficulties along the way here, I'd say the argument for that clone Tech II is getting stronger.
Yea for sure I’d spend the $215 for a clone. I’m interested in the all in one key you have if you end up digging it up. If not $80 isn’t too bad for a used all in one key and a new cut to my vin. I ordered the 9-5 twice unit that has the all in one key and that’s supposed to be here around the 24th. So I’ll swap the boxes and see how that goes. Thanks

·
Registered
8,407 Posts
Yes. No can do. TWICE needs IMMO chip.

·
Registered
8,407 Posts
Yea for sure I’d spend the $215 for a clone. I’m interested in the all in one key you have if you end up digging it up. If not $80 isn’t too bad for a used all in one key and a new cut to my vin. I ordered the 9-5 twice unit that has the all in one key and that’s supposed to be here around the 24th. So I’ll swap the boxes and see how that goes. Thanks
Remember that you need also ignition lock barrel if you want to use that "all in one key". That key contains "key guts" (remote and IMMO chip in PCB). "Key guts" is separate (removeable) part that can swap to another "all in one" key shell.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I wouldn’t jump to conclusions about your TWICE unit. I’ve got a 2000 9-3 which would almost never start without the button bypass and would show “key not accepted.” After reading about these key problems for several years, I finally turned the key ring antenna a fraction of a degree, and my car now starts every time. I’d try that first. Do get yourself another key before it too late, and don’t have the battery out of the fob for long.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I finally resorted to fussing with that key ring antenna during last summer’s blast of high winds and smoke here in Portland. The key bypass finally failed on me with the remote fob going inoperative (no lock/unlock, trunk, anything) and my second key on the other side of town. Got back with the spare and smoked lungs, but the key was working again. Next day I adjusted the antenna and replaced the battery fob which was now showing low battery. No trouble since then, so maybe you’ll be as lucky as I was. It’s a lot cheaper than having to replace the TWICE.

·
Registered
18,232 Posts
I found all my key options. Hit me up in a PM and we can work out a deal for what you need.

You do need to order the VIN cut key from esaabparts.com. If you do decide to buy a Tech II, I got mine from chinacardiags.com. They send DHL Express so it only took a few days to arrive. Has worked well for me.

·
Registered
18,232 Posts
commission pending
I thought of you when I posted that! LOL.

Honestly through... while I thought of a Tech II as a "nice to have" for things like minor tweaks, at this point it's save me a bundle of time (and aggravation) trying to resolve SRS issues and other problems.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I went ahead and ordered one, don't need it (yet) but everybody talks about them and Bob pushing them like a drug dealer , I have to see what all the hype is about. Soon drive thru tech2 service in Brimfield,

·
Registered
18,232 Posts
I went ahead and ordered one, don't need it (yet) but everybody talks about them and Bob pushing them like a drug dealer , I have to see what all the hype is about. Soon drive thru tech2 service in Brimfield,
When you get it, you'll think "Did I really need this". And then one day you'll find out.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts