SaabCentral Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Then you're probably into a turbo issue (like a wastegate problem), maybe a clogged exhaust, or some sort of deeper engine issue. An engine issue is a real stretch as you'd likely have CELs if something was that messed up, but still on the table. I'd start with a Mityvac test of the WGA as above.
okay, do you know if it would be safe to drive the car a short distance with no downpipe, just to check if the cat might be clogged?. And thank you :D

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
Eh... probably not great to dump 1000 degree exhaust into the engine bay, but it probably wouldn't kill anything going around the block. Except your ear drums.

·
Registered
17,413 Posts
If pulling the wastegate line doesn't give you full boost, then something else is wrong. That is, with no hose on the wastegate, you should always get full boost. It starts out closed and unless the ECU opens it, you boost.

The only impact the bolt mod could have is if the diverter aka blow-off valve was stuck open... then your boost could be dumping. Easy enough to check it.... remove and check to see if it's closed. You could also pull the vac line from it, plug it, and see if you get boost (one run... don't want to annoy your turbo).

Check the intercooler lines - they can blow off at the intercooler and not be noticed. They'll sit right in place, but all the boost will be going outdoors.

I'd be dropping the downpipe too. Make sure that wastegate is closed and the spring keeps it that way. If that's OK, it leads us to other places. But, the other stuff is easier to check... especially if the DP hasn't been off in a while. If you can't find anything else easy, drop the DP.

·
Registered
12 Posts
If pulling the wastegate line doesn't give you full boost, then something else is wrong. That is, with no hose on the wastegate, you should always get full boost. It starts out closed and unless the ECU opens it, you boost.

The only impact the bolt mod could have is if the diverter aka blow-off valve was stuck open... then your boost could be dumping. Easy enough to check it.... remove and check to see if it's closed. You could also pull the vac line from it, plug it, and see if you get boost (one run... don't want to annoy your turbo).

Check the intercooler lines - they can blow off at the intercooler and not be noticed. They'll sit right in place, but all the boost will be going outdoors.

I'd be dropping the downpipe too. Make sure that wastegate is closed and the spring keeps it that way. If that's OK, it leads us to other places. But, the other stuff is easier to check... especially if the DP hasn't been off in a while. If you can't find anything else easy, drop the DP.
Okay i Will try having a look this weekend

·
Registered
17,413 Posts
Nice that you got it sorted. If you need to replace the pipe, you might consider upgrading to a 3" downpipe. Aftermarket downpipes cost almost the same. That way you can stage it later if you want to. You can't buy a used downpipe from a professional seller, although you might find one from someone parting a car or who upgraded their pipe. I wouldn't buy a used one with over 100K miles unless you plan to replace the flex section... they're usually done by 125K.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Nice that you got it sorted. If you need to replace the pipe, you might consider upgrading to a 3" downpipe. Aftermarket downpipes cost almost the same. That way you can stage it later if you want to. You can't buy a used downpipe from a professional seller, although you might find one from someone parting a car or who upgraded their pipe. I wouldn't buy a used one with over 100K miles unless you plan to replace the flex section... they're usually done by 125K.
definetly going to get a 3" downpipe, for now i just cut open the "cat" and welded it back together :)

21 - 27 of 27 Posts