SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well went to go bleed the brakes, and the rear OEM alloy wheels are stuck to the rotors GOOD!! Not even a rubber mallet, or droping the car from the jack will dislodge them!! Any tips, glad I found this out at home instead or with a blow out on the side of the road!!:evil:

·
Registered
719 Posts
re

See if you can wedge a large screw driver between the rotor and the pad pry the pad and piston back away from the rotor.Use the backing plate not the friction material so as to not ruin the pad ,but you may have to hit it with a hammer to break the corrosion.Its worked for me in the past.GOOD-LUCK DAVE S>

·
Registered
57 Posts
Finger tight lugs and drive the car back and forth with hard stops and/or in a tight circle both directions. Usually works for me. AT LOW SPEED and right where you are trying to get the off (don't go for a cruise down the highway....).

The aluminum in the rims and the steel in the rotors have formed a bond, it can be pretty strong.

·
Registered
869 Posts
+1 for driving in an arc with slightly backed off lug nuts (like 1/2 turn) where you are going to work on the car.....

·
Registered
74 Posts
try throwing the spare tire at the bottom of the wheel. It worked for me like a charm. You may need to practice your tire throwing skills first, though

·
Registered
7,966 Posts
if you can get the center cap out (hard) then spray some penetrant in.

The issue is that the aluminum from the wheel is very close to the steel hub on the brake rotor and with some moisture and corrosion they stick.

I found that taking all of the bolts out and then kicking the bottom of the tire, spin, kick, spin, kick, spin..... it will rock it off.

(of course I don't have to worry about that anymore now that I live in CA!)

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
there was a recall for this, I had it done. They replace the lug nuts and clean the hub....silly but whatever.
I saw this, guess the GM dealer that the PO took it too never metioned in in the 10 years the PO took it there. Anyways thanks for the tip, got it off finally with a long peice of pipe one end on the sub frame other resting against the inside of the tire. But BOY was it on there! Using anti-seize on mating surface now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts