SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I 've always noticed that my oil has an odor of gas. When i check the oil on the dipstick i always smell it (learned from automotives class). I was reading those articles on why 9-5 engines sludge easily and read that they have a low friction engine meaning the piston rings do not seal around the cylinder wall as tightly and allows more blow by gases to enter the oil.

I do change my oil fully synth every 3000 miles (since i had the car). I fixed my thermostat recently so the engine is propery warming up. I avoid short trips. Spark plugs are about 15-20,000 old and are saab platinum NGK.

I always feel that the gas smell is much stronger after a long trip on the highway (100miles or so). In this cold weather after long trips the cap of the dipstick gets this milky film, and it has a really really strong smell of gasoline.
Could the smell just be from the PCV system venting?

Does anyone else notice this gas odor in their oil?

Thanks.

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Change your PCV kit. It is likely plugged.

Since your car has likely had a plugged PCV for a while, drop your sump and clean it to prevent a catastrophe.

·
Registered
9,423 Posts
Both my SAABs have had this smell. It's a byproduct of forced induction sending all that blow-by into the crankcase. But yes, if you've never changed your PCV system, do so now.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have never changed mine and i will do so soon. I have a feeling that whoever had the car before me did one of the older updates because i can see the added tapped valve on the oil filler neck... probably causing the smell.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I'm noticing the exact same issue, and the smell seems stronger than ever. I installed PCV #6 months ago. Some of our trips fairly short. Someone mentioned this indicates the car running rich, and I should clean the MAF.

Is this an indication that sludge may be creeping up? I've only used Amsoil Euro formula 5W40 for the last 10,000 Km, with 2 engine flushes in between the first change and the second. I noticed "coffee grounds" the first oil change, but none since.

Thanks in advance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts