SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My odometer on my 88 T Saab is broken. However I have one off of a 92 S. Does anyone know if they interchange?

Also, I know this may be getting close to breaking the odometer tampering laws, but can Saab odometers be easily rolled back? Is it as easy as it is in movies?

I don’t want to roll my odometer back to zero miles or anything, but the donor odometer has 176,000 miles on it while the odometer on my car stopped at 135,000 miles.
I thought I might just roll it back to where the old one was, I hate cars that have had their odometers changed and consequently show skewed mileages.:(

·
4,637 Posts
It's not difficult to roll back the odometer. You just push the wheel you want to turn off to one side to clear the advance mechanism. As far as tampering is concerned, you might be able to get the replacement certified as matching your existing one. You have to have it inspected and certified anyway so why not set it to the right mileage before certification. So long as you don't change it after that, you're probably legal...

·
Registered
239 Posts
Yep, it's easy.

I bought my car with 102,000 miles on the odometer, but shortly after the 1 rolled to a 2, and stopped working altogether. The dash had been tampered with, and it's missing all but the #4 screw... also there are cracks on the cluster clear plastic.

bottom line, yes, it's tamperable even by unskilled brutes... and some fools will overlook the obvious in their excitement to get the car they want ;oops: . I've since bought a new cluster which shows some 175,000 miles, but as usual I haven't found the time to change it (thanks Simon!)

BTW, if anyone has a set of screws to spare, i'd be grateful if the PM me.

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
NG 900 instrument clusters are electronic but c900's are purely mechanical on the speedometer and the turbo gauge front. There is an electronic speed transducer though.

Usually the odo problem is one gear starts slipping, because someone has pushed the odo reset too many times as the car is moving. Just open it up and put some glue on the gear, and your original will work good, thereby saving all trouble.

·
Banned
637 Posts
But IF you've got it apart.. Putting a replacement is easy enough and contrary to popular missconception the odo numbers Do line up neatly.. after being fooled with... there is also no mechanical reason why they would not.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts