SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

As my breather pipe has split I have the pvc out and it has been commented that it has an odd plug on a branch of it, does anyone know if this is normal? see pic

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ah well thats not how saaber 95 sees it he says

First off, that hose broke because of the pressure built up from the engine becuse someone blocked the outlet to the TB meaning your engine is not breatheing correctly. This would be a good time to do the PCV upgrade and hook every thing up correctly. How long have you owned this car? And what's the milage? Bottom line is; How long has your car been running this way? because that's not normal and it certainly not a mod that make sence.

So is it normal or has a vacuum line been deliberately disconnected?

Im confused

·
Registered
867 Posts
ah well thats not how saaber 95 sees it he says

First off, that hose broke because of the pressure built up from the engine becuse someone blocked the outlet to the TB meaning your engine is not breatheing correctly. This would be a good time to do the PCV upgrade and hook every thing up correctly. How long have you owned this car? And what's the milage? Bottom line is; How long has your car been running this way? because that's not normal and it certainly not a mod that make sence.

So is it normal or has a vacuum line been deliberately disconnected?

Im confused
I'd say no. The covered plug is supposed to attach to the hose with the white valve on it and then attach to the TB. Where it is attached now almost looks like the vacuum line for the BPV/Heater bypass solenoid.

Blue hose attaches to your covered tip (the hose in your pic with the white valve). Red hose goes to BPV/Heater bypass solenoid.

·
Registered
7,966 Posts
First, I thought you were asking about the plug and not the broken hose. Your PCV hose is broken, that is clear. The plug that goes into the valve cover is "normal" as it is shaped like that.

Second, numerous different PCV systems had some of these lines removed. (My 03 Aero had a plug on the vacuum line on this fitting from the factory) Your system has not been updated to the latest PCV rev (#6) so that vacuum line will be used when you update.

So, I say that (1) the broken PCV hose is not normal, but you said it had a tear in it and I suspect that you broke it when you took it off (2) the shape of the nipple that you are holding in your hand is "normal" and (3) depending on which PCV system you have in your car the plug on the vacuum line is "normal" for some revisions but not "normal" for the latest update, which you should make sure that you install.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thx this is what ive said in the other post

thats what i was thinking, an early pcv mod the vacuum line has been diverted to a branch on the oil filler neck instead

as the car was saab serviced every year the regular oil change probably served to keep the problem at bay but the breather tube was still squidgy

The oil warning and light only chime if i corner hard, as the dipstick reveals no oil at all i presume there is still enough left to hold the warning off except when it slops to one side on cornering

I imagine that as the car was saab serviced they only ever used good correct oil each time, i have not noticed any signs of the car burning oil, but then u need to be following it to see that really, revving it stationary tends not to reveal much.

The oil level has never dropped before in the past 14 months or so so perhaps the busted breather has caused the oil level to drop sharply, I have no idea when the pipe broke as the oil warning chime only occurred for the first time last night. Lucky it did as now I have found the bust pipe, it may have gone weeks ago

The car could obviously do with dropped sump, sludge out and pcv upgrade and fresh oil and filter, the sump drop and pcv will cost me a fair bit i suspect, the kit is £90 and then there's the labour and of course the oil and filter. Maybe 300 at least

Thats a worry, an economic quandary, is it worth it? Or just replace oil and filter, jam back on the breather after trimming the length that remains and carry on and hope for another year out of the car, at which point Ill have got my £1500 purchase price back really. This is after all a car which does barely 30mpg on motorways and around 25 in town, so it doesnt have a lot to recommend it long term and who knows what might go next?

by the way yes i did break the breather pipe but it was 99% already broke, hanging together by a thread only

1 - 6 of 6 Posts