SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting an odd noise, it sounds like someone blowing over a glass bottle....I might also compare it to a whale noise or a wheel bearing going out (its not wheel bearing). It's been getting worse over the last 4 wks. I just figured out when it happens....IT HAPPENS WHEN MY TURBO NEEDLE IS IN BETWEEN WHITE AND YELLOW. So basically when the turbo kicks in, as white is all crankcase pressure I believe. Anyhow, if I'm going up a hill it's much more noticeable, but I'm not sure if it is because of the load, I think it is more due to the fact that the needle is more likely to be and stay in that position, if I keep the throttle so the needle stays at that exact pt the noise will continue and continue on. I noticed a similar thread here http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20091206103918AATvp0g
He explains it the same way, the sound air over an empty bottle, although he says when the turbo is fully engaged and list other symptoms I don't have. My turbo gets to the red and I haven't noticed a loss in power at all. I did replace my vacuum lines recently, I also did the T7 Faster response update from SaabTuners.com, which I mentioned in another post. Anyhow, now that I see it is happening at that exact pt I'm leaning toward turbo issues. Before I thought it might have been a throwout bearing or something to do with the clutch, at this pt I'm certain it's turbo related just not sure what. Turbo sounds great past that, I have open air intake so BOV is loud and I've tested it already by applying vacuum and it holds just fine. Any help would be appreciated

Has this ever happened to anyone? If so what was it?

·
Registered
63 Posts
When did you change all of your engine mounts ?
I had the same issue.... It turns out the worn-out engine mounts, enabled the engine to sway more, and the stress from te exhaust caused some the bolts that the exhaust manifold is connected to - to sheer off, and cause an exhaust leak.

The behavior is the same .. at load you will hear the noise.

Take the exhaust shield off, and check all of the bolts, and make sure they are all intact.

If any have sheered off ... buy a bolt extractor, and an angle drill to be able to drill out the sheered bolts off the engine block... (if you do have bad ones, replace them all, because they will have been compromised)

See pic ...

Attachments

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've never changed the motor mounts are you referring to the heat shield in the center at the front of the car that covers the waste gate lever? That exhaust connection? Thx!

When did you change all of your engine mounts ?
I had the same issue.... It turns out the worn-out engine mounts, enabled the engine to sway more, and the stress from te exhaust caused some the bolts that the exhaust manifold is connected to - to sheer off, and cause an exhaust leak.

The behavior is the same .. at load you will hear the noise.

Take the exhaust shield off, and check all of the bolts, and make sure they are all intact.

If any have sheered off ... buy a bolt extractor, and an angle drill to be able to drill out the sheered bolts off the engine block... (if you do have bad ones, replace them all, because they will have been compromised)

See pic ...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yup. It makes it a lot easier to check the bolts on the manifold with a flashlight.
I think there are at least 8 ... If you can't see them, it means they are gone, and you need to extract the bolts, and replace them.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, I will be checking soon, I was told my BOV/diverter valve...I tested it a while back pulling vacuum on the hose end and it held...I will try this before spending $60 on a BOV. thx

Yup. It makes it a lot easier to check the bolts on the manifold with a flashlight.
I think there are at least 8 ... If you can't see them, it means they are gone, and you need to extract the bolts, and replace them.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I have this problem; worst when hot.
Turbo is bad. You should check it. I have other posts pertaining to this and tried many parts.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have this problem; worst when hot.
Turbo is bad. You should check it. I have other posts pertaining to this and tried many parts.
I looked through your other post and didn't see anything pertaining to the noise. Could you shoot me a link or just reply to this also are you saying that the turbo is bad all together Or just certain part, do you know what's causing it? and is it the actual turbo making the noise? Was your nose like blowing over a bottle too?

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Try swapping out your diverter valve with a known one that works, sometimes when they fail they give a hooting sound and its not always apparent when you hear the sound

1 - 8 of 8 Posts