SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Jump-started my 9k carlsson today for the first time in a few months. As soon as I connected the battery I got a warning busser out of the dash which kept going the whole time no matter if the engine was running or not, or whether the key was in the run, start, acc or off positions.

I tried pulling some of the fuses and that didn't get it either.

One thing I did notice was that the digital clock/tripmeter unit appears to have something wrong as it had random bits of it's display lit up which didn't change, so I wonder if at some point the clock as been fritzed? Last time I used the car daily (until Nov 2010) it worked fine, and the last time I drove the car (about 6 months ago) it was fine then too.

I'm hoping my ex didn't try to jump-start it and connected the jumper leads incorrectly, but that would kill the battery and blow lots of fuses, and none appear to be blown.

The engine ran just fine at idle, and the ECU did it's calibration phase just as it should.

I might try to get a replacement clock/tripmeter unit and go from there. Any other ideas?

EPC says the P/N for it is # 41 09 591 (NLS - use # 44 37 224 instead), and I found one on Ebay just now which is PN # 45 19 443 (for 1995+ 9k aero/griffin). I don't know if they are interchangable between years. Oh a bit of research appears to reveal that the later ones have an LCD display while the earlier ones (like the unit in my carlsson) have a coloured display that I think is LED based (doesn't look like a VF display).

Craig.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Wow I feel your pain nothing like restating something only to get more problems. I think there is a buzzer built into the system to alert for speed on the trip computer. I down loaded some information on setting the clock, and I seem to remember seeing that. Moreover, an X with the keys would make me start to buzz all over the place. I am not sure what the damage control would be if the polarity was switched briefly. It might just hit that first. It is like the first thing to light up, and yes one would think the damage would more extensive.

·
Registered
953 Posts
It could be that the clock has browned out. You can pry it out, unplug it, wait a while and plug it back in. If that doesn't work, it may very well be cooked.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will try to get the unit out of the dash and see what gives. Everything else as far as I know is fine so I am doubting that jumper leads were mis-connected, but because the car is not driven on the road the battery goes flat (it's got an isolator so it's disconnected when not in use) and it could have gone into a funny state because of the low batt voltage.

Anyway I think the hardest bit would be getting a replacement as the later ones seem available but the earlier ones don't.

Craig.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Managed to get it pulled out enough to see the rear connectors and it looks to have two which I think are both 8-lug. I'll have a go at disconnecting it and reconnecting to see what that does.

Craig.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Righto it seems the tripmeter is ok. When I put a charged battery in the car yesterday it's power up ok and behaves properly, so it might have just got into an odd state due to the wavering and low voltage on the battery I had in the car previously (which once I get a Ctek charger will be hooked up to get working again).

Craig.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Good news. Yes low voltage when it takes the path of least resistance can do all types of interesting stuff. I was not exactly sure what clock unit was in your vehicle. Was it the digital or the hands clock, and did it have the computer that did the trip calculations with time and destination? In my area we get so few 9Ks in the “pick a parts” that those parts are getting hard to come by. I let a couple slip away last year and have not seen any since.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good news. Yes low voltage when it takes the path of least resistance can do all types of interesting stuff. I was not exactly sure what clock unit was in your vehicle. Was it the digital or the hands clock, and did it have the computer that did the trip calculations with time and destination? In my area we get so few 9Ks in the “pick a parts” that those parts are getting hard to come by. I let a couple slip away last year and have not seen any since.
Digital clock type - not with LCD display like I think was used from 95 onwards.

Craig.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts