SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
God help me, I'm in New Jersey. I stopped for gas at the first Valero station (top tier) I found after getting off the Turnpike. We still can't pump our own gas here. I was afraid of running out because I have that problem with the loose baffle in the tank. I'll fix it eventually, I promise. The attendant was more concerned with shouting at someone, in Arabic, on speakerphone than paying attention to me when I asked for premium. He put in a full tank of regular. When confronted with this, he apologized, so I let him live. But now what? I have used various brands of octane booster but really didn't feel like they were effective. This car has never had anything less than mid-grade since I bought it two years ago - for the past six months nothing but top tier premium. I really don't want to have to drive like my mom or burn holes in pistons. There are times when I drive with "enthusiasm" I mean, it's an Aero...

·
Registered
761 Posts
Just live with it until 1/2 tank and then fill it up with your preferred fuel. It wont hurt anything, but i can understand your angst,

·
Registered
6,372 Posts
You might can feel some downgrade in high boost and slight lower mpg readings. Thank god for winter (lower ambient temps).
So I am with shaggy, next tank with premium and all is like yesterday.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
My wife has put the lowest grade in my car multiple times. It will be fine. The T7 engine management system is designed to run on lower octanes. You just won't have quite as much power and might get slightly worse MPGs. I wouldn't personally do it all the time, but a few tanks here and there aren't going to blow up your car. Just drive it and fill it up with premium next time.

·
Registered
87 Posts
As other have already pointed out, you'll be fine, especially since its winter. Lots of fear mongering on here about using regular gas, I'm willing to bet most saab drivers out there tanking regular have yet to blow up.

·
Super Moderator
1,529 Posts
Just live with it until 1/2 tank and then fill it up with your preferred fuel. It wont hurt anything, but i can understand your angst,
Sounds like good advice to me.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My wife has put the lowest grade in my car multiple times. It will be fine. The T7 engine management system is designed to run on lower octanes. You just won't have quite as much power and might get slightly worse MPGs. I wouldn't personally do it all the time, but a few tanks here and there aren't going to blow up your car. Just drive it and fill it up with premium next time.
Yeah, my wife does that too with her Arc. I was just hoping that someone knew of an octane booster that works well. In the meantime, I drove it down to less than 1/2 tank and filled with premium.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've run 89 in mine before and I just don't push it. The Trionic system is really ingenious, and it can practically run on anything. It'll pull the wastegate open and you wont make boost on lower fuel, and retard the timing to stop detonation. Honestly I wouldn't be concerned at all. I

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
Pretty bad in the US if you put lower octane in, the fuel burns holes in the pistons?
It may be due to altitude, or tuning, or both.

I can't recall anyone at sea level, with a stock car, having issues with holes in the pistons.

·
Registered
41 Posts
If you read the fine print on the bottle, octane boosters only raise the fuel 1/10 of a point or something like that per bottle. It’s very low. Not even worth it in my opinion. Chemically they sound a lot like fuel cleaner than anything.

·
Super Moderator
1,529 Posts
If you read the fine print on the bottle, octane boosters only raise the fuel 1/10 of a point or something like that per bottle. It’s very low. Not even worth it in my opinion. Chemically they sound a lot like fuel cleaner than anything.
Very true.

The Royal Purple octane booster gives you 3 full octane numbers, I’ve had good luck with that one in the past.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts