SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forgive me if this is in the wrong section, I don't know if this is a workshop issue or a modification issue (although it can be).

I've noticed that there is little fuss about using "premium" gas in the our 2.0T. This surprises me in that it is a turbocharged engine and therefore a readily knock-happy setup. I assume that the car has knock sensors and automatic timing ajustment to compensate. Therefore if I run a higher octane gas, I should see a little more action from the right pedal and a smoother runing engine no?

If higher octane is better (to a point obviously) what do you all do? Has ayone here toyed with toluene as an octane booster?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
27 views and no one has any comments? Come on people! ;)

·
Super Moderator
20,427 Posts
The engine is designed to run on XX octane gas from the factory. Going higher won't increase power (unless your car is modified) or mpg especially with T8 watching over things. Going lower on the octane scale will reduce your power output however. I don't think having higher than 91 octane will do anything on a stock car.

·
Banned
209 Posts
I ghave a linear 5 speed. To be honest with you i dont notice much of a differnce between grades of gas. Might be more noticeable in a car with a auto tranny.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I have a Linear auto. There was a minor performance hit when I used 87

89, 91 seemed to be identical as far as I could tell

But now on PPC - I stick with the 91

·
Registered
297 Posts
I actually started a similar post about a week ago. Let me tell you on a linear auto tranny, u can feel difference btwn 87 versus 89+. And yes there is a slight difference, at least to me after driving car 47,000 miles with 89 vs 91. I recommend trying different gas stations as I've found that different gas stations gas have different affects on car. Not to say that quality is difference but the mix might be.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We have an Arc, and as we've just got our 3rd tank (inc the one from the dealer) its a little to early to tell. Both times she got premium (and I didnt check the octane rating). I just wanted to confirm that better gas will equal better performance, or in other words, regular gas equals retarded ignition.

·
Super Moderator
20,427 Posts
SwizzDrums said:
I actually started a similar post about a week ago. Let me tell you on a linear auto tranny, u can feel difference btwn 87 versus 89+. And yes there is a slight difference, at least to me after driving car 47,000 miles with 89 vs 91. I recommend trying different gas stations as I've found that different gas stations gas have different affects on car. Not to say that quality is difference but the mix might be.
Yes. I noticed this the other day after putting in 91 from Conoco. It would sputter when I started it up in the mornings. Went back to BP 92 and all is good. Still wish I could get 93, but oh well...

PPC/auto/linear

·
Registered
139 Posts
I'd like to get the answer on this once and for all myself, but I guess it's just trial and (a lot of) error. I figured a turbo would need higher octane, so I asked the dealer when I bought my 9-3 what octane to use, and they said use 89 or 91 once in awhile, but don't really worry about it, which surprised me...and for good reason.

That's NOT what they said when I brought it back again for 35k servicing and new DI cassette, O2 sensors, etc. I was told then that my problems may have been caused by using 87! California also doesn't even have higher than 91, for reasons I still can't fathom. But you'd think that if there were an absolute number, they would've said, "DON'T use less than..." when I bought the car.

A lot of consumer groups say that most cars don't need higher octane, it's a waste of money. Well, it's not a waste if you have to shell out $1,500 later to fix problems caused by poor gas, which of course, is my fault...even though I asked in the first place (I guess I'm a little bitter about it).

Point is: I don't use anything less than 91 now. Forget the dealer, this is what my mechanic recommends (and he's not selling me the gas but rather saving me from more repairs down the line). The fuel economy is so much better now (it wasn't even very good when I bought the car, so that makes me wonder if the problems were there fro the beginning, but I digress...) that it's worth the few cents extra, really.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts