SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Ive been doing some searching and it looks like OBX makes a limited slip differential for about 400. When my clutch starts to go and I replace it I thought about throwing the lsd in. But I cant seem to find any info or reviews on it. Ive got the 5 speed now and after the tune Id like as much traction as possible. Not to mention traction in Wisconsin snowy winters.

·
Registered
799 Posts
If you want it to last, get a Quaife. When Honda owners avoid them, you know they can't be good.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It seems like it can be hit or miss. Guys seem to be replacing the washers inside and that really helps. along with running the right trans fluid.

·
Registered
799 Posts
You could always source out a LSD from a Cobalt SS. They fit and are roughly 400-500 dollars.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Abbott's Racing sells them and a few other places. I would look into the Cobalt route though. It will be way cheaper and you will be able to push 400hp before you would have to worry.

·
Registered
5,932 Posts
putting an lsd in an F35/55 trans required complete dis-assembly and re-assembly of the transmission, along with about 350 dollars in essential parts. OBX is junk. Quaife has a life time warranty ( But I have never seen a dead one) and the Quaife's I have seen survive complete destruction of the rest of the gearbox.

I pay around 500 for used Quaifes, 1100 for new, and its about a grand to install them. You need new bearings when you change the LSD (MINIMUM one side) and an extra bolt as the quaife uses one more crown wheel bolt than an open diff.

OBX. ugh.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I dont have money for Quaife. and you say obx is junk. So it looks like ill be going the cobalt lsd route. I should get some quotes on install first

·
Registered
5,932 Posts
You don't understand The cobalt has an optional quaife LSD, it is more available in junkyards. 500 or so used.
The f 35 was a saab designed and built 5 speed manual transmission, used in Cobalt ss Saturn L100 and Redline and various Opel stuff as well as SAAB 900 thru 9-5 etc The SAAB other than Viggen afaik did not offer a quaife LSD as an option so hard to find in junkyards. About 2000 redlines were built with comp paks and LSD 05-07. Cobalt SS 05-10 maybe 8,00o with LSD, That is a wild guess
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/F35_transmission

Maybe this link will help.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Every Cobalt SS/SC with the G35 package had the LSD. The package included LSD and Recaro seats. Those were all 5spd as well.

·
Registered
5,932 Posts
Every Cobalt SS/SC with the G35 package had the LSD. The package included LSD and Recaro seats. Those were all 5spd as well.
Nope. It's an G85 option on the Cobalt. NOT every SS had that option but there were no automatic SS until 08-10 at which point there were also 4 door SS and an HHR SS variant (that had also a turbo automatic non LSD ) but only the F35 TRANS (Mu3) could be had with an optional G85 LSD. The Recaro seat deal was packaged with LSD but only MY 05-06. 07 recaro went away on the s/c SS and 08-10 the seats were not Recaro at all

In 2004 the Ion Redline came with recaro seats but the G85 LSD option was not available ; that changed along with the recaro seat squab color in 05 and 06; 07 was the last year for the Ion in any form.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Nope. It's an G85 option on the Cobalt. NOT every SS had that option but there were no automatic SS until 08-10 at which point there were also 4 door SS and an HHR SS variant (that had also a turbo automatic non LSD ) but only the F35 TRANS (Mu3) could be had with an optional G85 LSD. The Recaro seat deal was packaged with LSD but only MY 05-06. 07 recaro went away on the s/c SS and 08-10 the seats were not Recaro at all

In 2004 the Ion Redline came with recaro seats but the G85 LSD option was not available ; that changed along with the recaro seat squab color in 05 and 06; 07 was the last year for the Ion in any form.
You're correct about the package, it was a G85. That was my mistake, been a few years since I've had my Cobalt. I didn't say every SS had a manual, I said every SS/SC did. As far as the Recaros for 07 go, I had an 07 which came with the G85 which DID include Recaro seats. The later 07's may not have had them though. The SS with the 2.4 was available in an auto. Once GM came out with the SS/TC, autos were made an option on the HHR's.

Either way, tracking down a decent Cobalt LSD should be fairly cheap and easy to accomplish

·
Registered
5,932 Posts
You're correct about the package, it was a G85. That was my mistake, been a few years since I've had my Cobalt. I didn't say every SS had a manual, I said every SS/SC did. As far as the Recaros for 07 go, I had an 07 which came with the G85 which DID include Recaro seats. The later 07's may not have had them though. The SS with the 2.4 was available in an auto. Once GM came out with the SS/TC, autos were made an option on the HHR's.

Either way, tracking down a decent Cobalt LSD should be fairly cheap and easy to accomplish
SS 2.4 Was a one year car 2006 Mark Reuss later said he would not do that again run a badge engineered ersatz model off a performance SS. Your 2007 May have been a case of GM running recaros until supplies ran out so you were fortunate.

The cobalt LSD the OP did not understand to be a quaife. It is. They run 350-500 used . If the boneyard doesn't know better you can maybe buy a complete TRANS and harvest the lsd but that is not cheap. Unless you cut the TRANS apart you need service tools and you can't access the LSD without complete TRANS dissambly. Folks don't appear to realize that ,possibly as it's not usual, but FWD transaxles can be difficult and different

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I will do that qwik. when spring rolls around and I get some accurate quotes on install Ill be back to you

1 - 20 of 21 Posts