SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just finished the install. Bit of a pain, figuring my 13mm socket broke :evil: and I also took the resonator completely out and fit a 2.5" straight aluminized pipe in it's place. Most of the issue was getting the cat out, as it was sort of a puzzle. Other than that, I wouldn't say it was too bad. Advice for others would be to have another person with you as it will save you much more time and be a lot less frustrating working as a team and being smart about it...I'm currently running JZW stage 1 with the CXRacing FMIC, Custom CAI, and the car runs and pulls great. With the resonator out it sounds a little more aggressive and slightly louder, but not stupid loud. Might save a new muffler for a later project, I'm pretty content with it right now. I might run it a little more on the highway when I get my tags tomorrow and I will be more able to notice the power increase...but for now I'd say roughly 300 for everything I bought to complete the project is not bad at all...and quite worth it. I'll prob get some pics up tomorrow when it's brighter outside.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Nice, I left my stock resonator in place, was looking for a stock exhaust sound. With the OBX dp it's only loud during its initial warm up during a cold start. After that it as quiet as stock.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea its definitely pretty audible during warm up. But without the resonator its actually got a pretty nice tone to it after it warms up as well, sounds great around 2000-3800 rpms. Maybe tomorrow I can post a vid with some sound, gotta find my cam tho. For not installing a new muffler yet it sounds pretty good, and I'm not sure about the piping on it, my stock muffler's inlet is at an angle and it might take a little work to get it all to line up right. By then I might as well just get new pipe the rest of the way back.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
cool, I'm planning on just cutting off the muffler like a foot back, welding in a vband, than getting a new muffler. That way i can just swap the 2 as i please.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welding a Vband clamp is a cool idea. I dont have a welder so my creativity options are hindered a little :cry: I have 2 1/4" pipe stock which makes things a little complicated...which is why if I ever get an aftermarket muffler I might as well get that "U" custom made to a 2.5" pipe and just fit a muffler on that real easy. Right now I have the 3" DP to a 2.5" straight pipe (resonator delete) to the stock U bend to the muffler. Kinda sketchy but for now it works. I'd like to make everything else 2.5" but that custom bend/weld work might be a few hundred alone. And I don't want too many clamped joints in there...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts