SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
5,774 Posts
A sub $400 stainless Cat Back is tempting... I'm just wondering what the catch is.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had OBX headers on my bmw and the quality was really good, never gave me any issues, for the price i say go for it unless you live near a custom exhaust shop that can mock something up for cheaper ;ol;

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
OBX is generally considered to be middle of the road quality; not amazing, but not bad either. It is likely made in Taiwan or China, if that sort of thing matters to you.

They started offering cat-back systems for FWD Volvos a couple years ago and the price has made them a big hit in the Volvo community. They are not nearly as quiet as the offerings from BSR. I'm guessing they just don't use as much packing in the mufflers.

What has me curious is the note about it being for sedans only. Additionally, BSR sells 2 different systems; one for the '99-'03 cars and one for the '04 and later Aeros, which also fits the '06 9-5 of all trim levels. OBX is selling just one system that supposedly fits all 9-5's from '98-'09. What this tells me is that some modification may be required on certain model years and certain trim level cars.

·
Registered
118 Posts
OBX is generally considered to be middle of the road quality; not amazing, but not bad either. It is likely made in Taiwan or China, if that sort of thing matters to you.

They started offering cat-back systems for FWD Volvos a couple years ago and the price has made them a big hit in the Volvo community. They are not nearly as quiet as the offerings from BSR. I'm guessing they just don't use as much packing in the mufflers.

What has me curious is the note about it being for sedans only. Additionally, BSR sells 2 different systems; one for the '99-'03 cars and one for the '04 and later Aeros, which also fits the '06 9-5 of all trim levels. OBX is selling just one system that supposedly fits all 9-5's from '98-'09. What this tells me is that some modification may be required on certain model years and certain trim level cars.
In my last car (RX8), OBX was known to make a really poor product, that rarely ever fit without modifications...

That being said, it's probably a slip-on unit (instead of bolting onto the flanges on the CAT, it'll slip over and band-fitting onto the existing pipe right after the CAT), which should make it able to "fit" many years of vehicles.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
In my last car (RX8), OBX was known to make a really poor product, that rarely ever fit without modifications...

That being said, it's probably a slip-on unit (instead of bolting onto the flanges on the CAT, it'll slip over and band-fitting onto the existing pipe right after the CAT), which should make it able to "fit" many years of vehicles.
It's a bit tough to tell from the pictures, but it looks like this one will bolt up to the stock flange. Will it require some tweaking or a trip to the muffler shop to get it to sit perfectly straight? Perhaps so, but some people don't care.

That said, if it were me, I would spring for the BSR unit from Genuine Saab in heartbeat. My BSR system bolted up perfectly and the fit and finish is amazing for a $400 system.

Here are a few numbers to think about:

The BSR system from GS goes for $401, plus $26 for shipping in my case. Total price = $427

The OBX system on eBay goes for $230, plus $85 for shipping. Total price = $315. A trip to the muffler shop for tweaking, if necessary, will likely cost you at least $60.

I don't know about you guys, but this is a no brainer to me. For a maximum of $112 more, you get a Swedish built stainless steel system that fits the 9-5 like a glove and sounds sporty, yet refined. Plus, the oval tip on the BSR system fits the exhaust cutout perfectly on my Aero. A round tip, like the one on the OBX system would leave space on each side and look a bit tacky in my opinion.

·
Registered
47 Posts
well, im interested too! when the link to the ebay auction opened, it showed someone had bought it already for $230 offer bid. That's even better. Sent a message to the seller asking if it will fit the station wagon.

As for quality? Stainless is better than regular steel. My car is 11 years old so I don't really care b/c it most likely will outlast the useful life of the car!

1 - 20 of 172 Posts
About this Discussion
171 Replies
44 Participants
jjthegreat
SaabCentral Forums
SaabCentral forum the most comprehensive Saab resource on the internet. Join our discussions on the Saab 9-3, Saab 9-5, Saab 900, Saab 9000 and all other Saab models, choose your forum.
Full Forum Listing