SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Many of us with 2003 and maybe some later are now procuring new tires. I am very interested in hearing your tire replacement experience.

Here is mine:

At 22k miles, my stock pZero Rosso's were just about bald in the middle, looking more like racing tires than street tires. But, I was procrastinating getting them replaced as my wet traction was still reasonable. I came out to a flat rear tire and limped to my closest tire shop, a Bridgestone dealer, and looked to get a patch to hold me over until I did my homework and got new tires. Mostly I did not want to loose any handling quality, as I have enjoyed the handling with the sports suspension coupled to the pZeros.

My delay came to an abrupt end when they showed me a patch was not possible as the hole was in the crease between the sidewall and tread. They offered me Y rated Bridgestone Potenzas or to put on my spare. I was leaning towards spare until they showed me there 30-day replacement offer with the assurance that they would get me any brand I wanted.

So sure, I replaced all 4 tires. I immediately felt a lot more role in cornering and a tendency for the steering wheel to want to pull back to center when I took it off center. Worst was a feeling of delay between input and response. This was not so great, and then I went to the web.

I saw that the Bridgestone Potenza S-03 Pole Position was much loved by respondents on Tirerack.com. So I was thinking I must have gotten a fine tire and the roll and on-center must not bother others. Then I got my receipt and it all made sense. They had actually fitted me with Bridgestone Potenza RE040 tires. These tires are hated by almost all respondents! Further look showed S-03s as being ranked 3 out of 20 in the max performance category and the RE040 as being 40 out of 41 in the lesser ultra-high performance category. Now this made sense and sent me immediately to the phone.

Fortunately the tire-shop manager stuck to his guns with no guff and promptly agreed to procure for me some S-03s at no additional charge for the tire nor the swap -- for some odd reason the tires are priced about the same. He said it would take a week to order them and that was fine by me.

Today the tire-shop put on the new S-03s. Amazing!! They have all the traction of my pZeros minus the pZeros desire to chase after ruts in the road. Cornering rocks and the car feels faster and really aggressive and yet smoother. Plus, I feel almost zero role in cornering. Now then, some of my feeling is skewed having lived with the old-lady feel of the RE040s, but they are clearly superior to the pZeros, which again, I did enjoy and still feel good about. These S-30s are just all that and better.

It is amazing how much the tires influence the entire feel of the car -- from the same maker at the same price! So, I am one day into the new experience and so far, I am psyched.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
The RE040 are garbage. They come OEM on most Nissans. I had the S03's on my GTI. They are probably the best dry and wet tire I have ever driven on. The only downfall for them, is they wear pretty quick.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
I am getting the Toyo T1-R myself....don't have any reviews on them as they are a new model, but I suspect if they are anything like their predecessor, then they will be pretty good.

Paul

1 - 4 of 4 Posts