SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I am getting po'ed my check engine light goes off and on about every 100 miles, I use to think was just a gas cap problem (changed it too) but OBD II reader states P0455 Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (gross leak) so just wondering if anyone else has this problem and would know what would be causing this ?

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
have you noticed a gas smell since this problem has started occuring? Could be the gas cap, tank, fuel line, valve, orrrrr, could just be a bad sensor, though I have no idea where it is located.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I got a new gas cap since the one on it was the wrong type, was a vented gas cap but still throws that code about every 100 miles then disappears for awile then comes back.

·
Registered
9,423 Posts
My code guide says the following:

P0445 ......................... EVAP Valve Control Circuit Current Too Low Or Shorted To Ground

Diagnosis & Repair Procedure
1) Connect scan tool to Data Link Connector (DLC). Start
engine. Select ACTIVATE. Select EVAP VALVE. Valve should be activated
for 10 seconds at a frequency of 8 Hz. If valve can be heard clicking,
go to next step. If valve cannot be heard clicking, go to step 3).
2) Unplug EVAP purge valve 2-pin connector. Measure
resistance between EVAP purge valve terminals. If resistance is 23-29
ohms, go to next step. If resistance is not as specified, replace EVAP
purge valve. Retest system.
3) To check the power supply, connect a test light between
EVAP purge valve harness connector terminal No. 1 and ground. If test
light comes on, go to next step. If test light does not come on,
repair circuit between purge valve harness connector terminal and inline
splice.
4) Connect ohmmeter between ECM terminal No. 21 and EVAP
valve connector terminal No. 2, and between ECM terminal No. 27 and
EVAP valve connector terminal No. 2. If less than one ohm is present
in both cases, replace EVAP valve. If greater than one ohm is present
in both cases, repair wiring.
5) Clear DTC and road test vehicle. If DTC is reset, retest
system. If DTC is not reset, repair is complete.
If you can get passed the mumbo jumbo (I don't think I've said mumbo jumbo in years!) you at least get an idea of the components that can throw this code.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
CO-Saab said:
Are you guys noticing a drastic drop in available power with this code?
I havent noticed any drop in power, of course im using 89 octane gas so I do see a decrease with not using 92-93

·
Registered
142 Posts
No adverse effect on power output. I have had this problem since, well, a very long time (too long, I guess). When the code is read the machine says "Car is safe to drive" i.e. no adverse effect on anything except emissions.

But I'm mighty fed up of that CEL. Damn I hate being poor...

·
Registered
14 Posts
I know this was a long time ago...

I have a 99 9-5 and received the same P0455 emissions leak error. I had brought my car in for the emissions inspection, and originally was rejected due to an error involving replacing my dump valve. CEL went off for a few days and a few hundred miles, but when I brought it back to be reinspected I was told I had an error P0455: Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected... so i was hoping someone might have some help at finding where this problem was.
Are the Close Valve and Purge Valve/Asymb that jperk mentioned related to teh dump/bypass valve I already replaced?

Also, I'm kinda new to posting so does anyone know how I can copy this to the 9-5 workgroup as well?
Thanks!

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
From the SAAB EVAP update and ORVR Workbook (40-page document on the evap system):

During the first phase of the diagnostic routine, the ECM stores a tank pressure reference value. Then the Canister Close Valve is energized, closing off the passage to ambient air. Next, the ECM cycles the purge vavle with a fixed duty cycle of 13%. The tank pressure must drop by at least -0.6 kPa within 23 seconds, or the ECM sets DTC P0455 which indicates a large leak. 9-3 and 9-5 models will display the message "TIGHTEN FUEL FILLER CAP" on SID.
Not sure I can repost a copyrighted SAAB document on a bulletin board, but I originally found it by doing a google search...

The purge valve is easily accessible (hangs near the upper idler pulley on a bracket on the passenger side strut tower. On my car, the close valve is inside the fender, above the plastic liner, next to the evap charcoal canister.

Most common cause of that code is a loose or leaking fuel filler cap, therefore the SID message on the later models. If one of the evap hoses comes loose or breaks, I would think you would get the same error. Purge valve failures are fairly common, because the duty cycle of the valve is fairly high. Some people have cleaned it successfully (have not tried that myself).

·
Registered
650 Posts
on the t7 9-3 it is usualy the evap purge solenoid mounted on the airbox right by the strut tower. they leak internally and the system can pick up leaks as small as .020" HG so you will never find it with a evap tester. if your sure your gas cap si tight and holding replace the solenoid.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have gotten the Tighten Filler Cap message sporadically since I purchased the vehicle. I have tried taking it off and putting it back on, but I'm not sure how to make sure it is holding. Should I replace it, or is there a way to fix it so that I can pass my emissions inspection?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
jperk said:
I just had a P0455 and the exact same symptons...it took 3 trip to the dealer (under warranty) to get it resolved. Turned out the Close Valve and Purge Valve/Asymb were the cultprets. All were replaced and no CEL in 500 miles.
What is a "Asymb" ?
I believe in fixing, rather than replacing..
The replaced item , maybe it just needed a cleaning or an adjustment, or maybe a 50 cent part was worn out...
I'd hate to think what the repair bill was, warranty or no.....

·
Registered
3 Posts
on the t7 9-3 it is usualy the evap purge solenoid mounted on the airbox right by the strut tower. they leak internally and the system can pick up leaks as small as .020" HG so you will never find it with a evap tester. if your sure your gas cap si tight and holding replace the solenoid.
I'm new here to this form and have this code also comming up on my 9-3 Aero 2005. Where exaclty is the purge solenoid and what does it look like? Is the airbox the air intake that contains the air filter?

·
Registered
411 Posts
I never got this code however I did see a few "tighten filler cap" warnings on my SID.

I bought a new cap at Napa and the messages went away.

$8. Worth a try?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks Mike,

I already replaced the fuel cap as per the advise. but that did not fix it. That is why I want to now take a look at the evap. solenoid. So any help on finding it's location would be appreciated. Also I never got the SID display on the fuel cap and only ever saw the check engine light on and checked the OBD code and came up with 0455. I can reset it but it comes back on after 2 restarts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I finally found the evap solenoid. After removing it and WD40ing it and the recptical for it the code has gone away.....

Very easy fix (once you find the solenoid).

·
Registered
411 Posts
Ok, I found my problem.

The hose from the throttle body area to the evap solenoid had been replaced with a 14" one. It was long enough to reach the idle roller of the serpentine belt and guess who won that one. There was a nice "notch" worn in the hose.

I cut and added a 90 degree hose so it's well out of the way now.

And I cleaned the valve while I had it out.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts