SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
where is the ideal place to install a narrowband O2 sensor,

I am just asking as I will need to install one for my T5 setup, and I'll also need to install a wideband O2 sensor.

I ask because Innovate say their wideband sensor can only handle 500c without buying a bung heat sink extender to dissipate the excess heat.

Can the narrowband O2 sensors that are used in c900s handle more heat because they're always right up in the turbo elbow aren't they!? Or am I just mistaken in thinking that the exhaust of a c900 would get up to 900celsius near the exhaust manifold?!

any help or ideas would be great.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
I think your estimate is quite high. 900C would be way hot at the manifold on a turbo engine. I'd guess closer to 500 would be correct. If you're running hotter, you're running lean.

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah It's jsut that Dilemma says the 9000t5 engine runs with exhaust temp of 950c or something in normal conditions which I thought has to be RED hot doesn't it?! :D

I guess I'll just plant it low down in the exhaust and the O2 sensor low down as well so they're as cool as possible and I'll just buy the damn heat sink for an extra $90 :evil:

Thanks mate

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Yeah I'd say 950C would have the pipe red. That is freaking HOT...and not in the way Kate Upton is freaking hot either :cool:

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I'd say 950C would have the pipe red. That is freaking HOT...and not in the way Kate Upton is freaking hot either :cool:
American puns :eek: No idea who that is lol

Narrowband O2 sensors are they able to tolerate more heat do you think? It's just that I see them up in the manifold pretty much or on the turbo elbow rather on c900 8valves and I always thought that would be mighty hot!

PS I have seen my manifold glow red a few times, but that was after just driving like a total moron for about 25 minutes.

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks

Anyone have experience with cheap stand alone EGT probes?

I was thinking about grabbing one, for t5 tuning it's meant to be a pretty useful resource to make sure the tune isn't causing heat due to timing or fuelling, I know knock and wideband AFR cover that well but still..

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
What are you expecting these sensors to do for you?
Manufacturers put them very close to the Head so they start working and go into closed-loop operation as quickly as possible on cold starts. This reduces the Grams per Mile on cold start emission standard that all cars have to meet (in most markets).
There's no disadvantage that I know of in placing them in a very hot place. Turbo manifolds regularly glow red under long, hard use with no ill effect (unless you second-guessed the exhaust manifold studs).

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
my problem is that innovate say their wideband musnt exceed 500celsius (without a heat sink which you can buy for 90) or it will ruin the sensor so my question is will my exhaust get over 500celsius lol

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
my problem is that innovate say their wideband musnt exceed 500celsius (without a heat sink which you can buy for 90) or it will ruin the sensor ...
As my friend from Georgia would say: Horse Puckey!
How would they know what ruined their fancy-pants Sensor? Or do they offer no warranty at all?

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
I am gracious in acceptance of the fact that I have discovered/learnt 2 new things today . :D

One Was Kate Upton , thank you Scantar

the Other was Horse Puckey !

Thank you Georgian friend of Jim !

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
I am gracious in acceptance of the fact that I have discovered/learnt 2 new things today . :D

One Was Kate Upton , thank you Scantar

the Other was Horse Puckey !

Thank you Georgian friend of Jim !

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
so my question is will my exhaust get over 500celsius lol
With a turbo the exhaust can glow cherry red, especially near the turbo and O2 sensor, especially at night, the answer is yes. It can get over 500°C but only if you push it. If you're on shopping trips no.

400°C Red heat, visible in the dark
474°C Red heat, visible in the twilight
525°C Red heat, visible in the daylight
581°C Red heat, visible in the sunlight

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks peva, so probably no need for a heat sink?

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What do you mean wideband or narrowband

your 87 should have a narrowband unless it's an early 8 valve (87 isn't really early)

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Another trivia tidbit: good turbos (ie. not knockoffs) are generally made of inconel, which is a high temperature nickle alloy, used for its ability to maintain its crystal structure at high heat. And high temperature as in 700-750C; I'm not certain I believe a 9000 regularly runs 950C or the turbo itself will melt.

li Arc

·
Registered
31 Posts
so in CT if a car is 25 y/o or older, it doesn't need emissions. My baby is all grown up and can do what she wants, but would not putting an o2 on give me serious problems? Right now my resonator broke right at the cat, surprisingly still sounds fun:cheesy: loud, but fun.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts