SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am awaiting a new O2 sensor as the current one has a problem.

In the meantime, I'm having to use the car to get to work - I'm driving it carefully and not boosting if I can help it.

It's running rough - surging is probably the best way of describing it - my MPG has risen to 30.0MPG :eek: (Usually 25 ish!)

Is it safe to drive until the new sensor turns up? I don't really have an alternative at the moment, I can use my girlfriend's car in the evenings but during the day I've gotta use this one to make the 3 mile journey to work...

I am fairly sure that the car should revert to default values in this case - is this correct?

Cheers folks

·
Registered
10 Posts
I looked into this problem a while back when my 2002 SE lpt 9-3's engine management light came on, it was the O2 sensor plating up during the Tesco petrol problem. Luckily my local garage was able to reset and cancel the light and its been OK ever since, must have been a very dilute Tesco petrol that didn't do any real harm. In my case the engine performance and general running was not effected. If your car has cruise control it should have stopped working due to ECU going to default setting, and that would also explain the rough running. There is a possiblilty by being at default setting your cars catalytic converter could be effected if you use it over a prolonged time. If I were you I would stop driving it for the time being.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
leave it for a long time and the CAT converter will burn itself out. Too much fuel, rich condition, will flood the converter and make it work too hard. But this is over a long period of time, like months.

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
Well since you already ordered one, I'm guessing it's for a couple of days??? That wouldn't harm the car or the cat but make sure you change it once you receive the replacement.

Don't wait too long to put it in or you may need to replace the cat along with the sensor like Diosnoche said.

PS: how did you determine it was the O2 sensor by the way? Had the code read with the tech II?

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I'm literally just waiting on Royal Mail - so it could turn up tomorrow, or at the current rate it might be another week.

It will be changed as soon as I receive the new one!

I read the codes with my OBD2 / data tool (one of those Ebay jobbies that plugs into the computer) after I grounded out on a farm track and the CEL lit up (see post titled 'Oh bugger'!)

The code received was 'O2 sensor Bank 1 fault' - the CEL has since flashed 6 times to confirm my initial suspicions... plus the symptoms fit - misfiring and juddering on driving, fine at idle!

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
LPTDave said:
I looked into this problem a while back when my 2002 SE lpt 9-3's engine management light came on, it was the O2 sensor plating up during the Tesco petrol problem. Luckily my local garage was able to reset and cancel the light and its been OK ever since, must have been a very dilute Tesco petrol that didn't do any real harm. In my case the engine performance and general running was not effected. If your car has cruise control it should have stopped working due to ECU going to default setting, and that would also explain the rough running. There is a possibility by being at default setting your cars catalytic converter could be effected if you use it over a prolonged time. If I were you I would stop driving it for the time being.
Very interesting, and helpful.
A good way of determining when the car is running in "default".

IMO, if the oxygen sensor is indeed causing the CEL, running the car for another 100 miles(carefully) or so should do no harm.
Ignoring or "erasing" the CEL can be harmful......

1 - 6 of 6 Posts