SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there retail sources for oil/gas resistant o-rings like the ones on hose #1? Anyone happen to know sizes?

I'm fairly certain there's a small one at the pump end of hose #1, but the diagram only shows the #2A, which is for the fitting #2 that screws into the pump itself, not the #1 into the fitting.

At the other end is #13, but it's an "order from Sweden" part now.

·
Registered
687 Posts
the pump end has no Oring, thats a flare into the pump as for #13 it's just a metric Oring , if you can't find them Mcmaster has a hugh array or try an autoparts store for metric Orings. Dial calipers or an actual micrometer will give you the perfect diameter to look for.

Reactions: FC Saab

·
Registered
17,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. There seemed to be something on the used line I pulled on the pump end. On the other end, the o-ring is on the pipe that heads back to the rack. So I can 't measure it until I pull the line. I was hoping to have a ring here to go on when I pull the line. Otherwise life gets complicated. Also, how do you measure for the thickness of the o-ring? ID is easy with the caliper but OD is tough (down inside the threads of the other half of the fitting) as well as the thickness as the groove is buried in the fitting.

·
Registered
687 Posts
the best way for checking them is with instruments not readily available to the public, you were correct with the fact that the PS line DOES in fact have an O ring before it goes into the pump ,after closer examination it wasn't just dirt and oil with the shoulder, the thickness is 1.5mm, ID runs 8.8mm, having an "interapid" indicator and standards helps. I just finished installing that lower PS line, and figured I had that much off I might as well do the upper. I would have loved sitting in on that design meeting, hey lets wrap the PS line down around the front and back up ,oh and lets put it in before anything else, they'll never to replace that....wrong

Reactions: FC Saab

·
Registered
17,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LOL. So you managed to do the upper line? If you want to write that up, it would be very useful here for sure.

Any idea on the o-ring size for the line on the large/battery end? I know the o-ring is on the upper pipe and while I have a lower pipe, that leaves me slightly-out-of-luck as I can't really measure inside the female fitting. Also, the o-ring is Sweden only at this point and "ain't nobody got time for that".

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
There's no way that o-ring is unique to Saab - it's a totally standardized fitting. Hit up a hydraulics shop and they will surely get you sorted.

·
Registered
17,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jvan: The issue is that the male fitting that the o-ring goes on is on the line that won't be coming off. I have nothing to show the hydraulic guys but the female side of the fitting. Not to mention... I'm trying to avoid people in general :)

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
OIC. That seems like the moment I would hack one off a junkyard car to take to show & tell.

I definitely get avoiding people - doing the same but you really do need good tools to measure O-rings, and Saab won't tell you the spec, so options are a bit limited. :(

I'll bet if you knew what the fitting was (AN ORB, inverted flare etc.) that o-ring would be a fixed size. Have you tried google image searching hydraulic fittings or power steering fittings or something to see you can identity the type?

·
Registered
17,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll probably hit the u-pull unless someone finds one hanging around that they can measure. Wish I'd thought of it ahead of time... could have easily grabbed the end of a line.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Yeah I ripped my AC lines out of my convertible. Figured if it was ever too hot the top would be down. I still got all the lines somewhere. Then again, I don’t have calipers so I don’t know if I can be of any help.

·
Registered
17,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah I ripped my AC lines out of my convertible. Figured if it was ever too hot the top would be down. I still got all the lines somewhere. Then again, I don’t have calipers so I don’t know if I can be of any help.
Rubik: Thanks, but it's the PS line. Same annoying location for the "battery to firewall", but different line. FYI - I highly recommend picking up digital caliper from HF for $10-$15 on sale. Not to help me, but it's become one of my most useful tools in auto and other places. Not sure how I lived without it for so many years.

You know, that's an interesting point. If I ball park it in for ID, I can just pick up a selection of rings and try until I find the right one.

But, my concern is usually the diameter of the material itself though i.e. the dimension that's probably 2.0 mm or 2.5 mm, etc. Maybe it's not as critical on a ring this big (vs. for example, a tiny little A/C line ring).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts