SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This past weekend I installed the Boston Acoustics S35 speakers in the dash and the BA S45's in the rear parcel shelf. I purchased the two pairs of speakers for $120, including shipping, from an eBay vendor. By the way, I have the 150 watt/7-speaker system.

The sound quaity has improved quite a bit—the mid-bass is more pronounced (in a good way), the highs are far less shrill, and the midrange is more rich. I would describle the general sound improvement as one of increased richness and clarity. Certainly a worthwhile upgrade over the OEM speakers.

I have a couple of observations to add to the existing installation guides. First, I would place a towel (or some such thing) over the dash when you are working on the front speakers so as to avoid damaging the dash, as you have to lean on it a bit to remove the screws holding in the speakers. Second, I found it necessary to use a razor blade to cut the electrical tape wrapped around the OEM speaker wires in order to free them up sufficiently so that I could use my wire stripper. Third, I placed the T25 Torx bit in an one-quarter inch socket and used my ratchet to remove and tighten the screws. Finally, when removing the rear parcel shelf panel, I used a butter knife and slide it under the panel and adjacent to the clips holding it in place, and then pulled up lightly to remove the clips holding the parcel shelf panel.

G

·
When I replaced mine, I was really surprised to see how cheap those factory dash speakers are. It's an inexpensive upgrade with great results.

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
The clips holding the rear parcel shelf used to be an interesting design. Not sure if these continue to be used from 2007 on.

The old circular clips were released by depressing the button in the center. Then they just slid out. Before reinserting them you had to reset the clip manually by getting the button to stick out in its "ready" position.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
The clips that hold the parcel shelf on now are just the same old clips other cars use. Like the 2nd one from the left on the top in this photo:

Normally these are reusable but they can be broken.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ctrlz said:
The clips holding the rear parcel shelf used to be an interesting design. Not sure if these continue to be used from 2007 on.

The old circular clips were released by depressing the button in the center. Then they just slid out. Before reinserting them you had to reset the clip manually by getting the button to stick out in its "ready" position.
The diagram I used from Saba's guide showed the clips as you have described them. The clips in my 08' 9-3 were not of that style. See my next post.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
brianl703 said:
The clips that hold the parcel shelf on now are just the same old clips other cars use. Like the 2nd one from the left on the top in this photo:

Normally these are reusable but they can be broken.
I agree. The clips look more or less like the second one from the left in the first row.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts