SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally I replaced the headliner in my '94 Aero. It was tedious but mostly straightforward. It is a big job... Here are a few tips (assuming you have some of the available writeups on how to do it):

- Removing headliner without help: I had to remove the headliner and reinstall it by myself, despite the many warnings to get help. I put long cardboard tubes across the headliner - the back held in place by the rear windows rolled mostly up, and the front tied with string around the roof (so I could have the doors open). Upon removing the last of the hardware the board rested on these tubes without breaking, and allowed careful withdrawal out the rear. Same for reinstalling...

- Sunroof slider. I never found a writeup about removing this piece without bending things or taking the whole sunroof out of the car, but IT IS POSSIBLE and not hard. First remove the glass (see threads on this). Then remove all the phillips screws you can see from above on the tracks (6 each side) and the track cover pieces (two on each side). Grab the crazy tilt-retract mechanism (which is blocking the slider board from coming out) and slide it towards the front of the car (the cables will flex upward). It will come out easily. Set all this hardware to the side (on the roof) without disconnecting anything. Now the plastic trim piece for the glass and the sunroof slider board can slide forward and up. NOTE: after the glass is removed, all the above steps are done from outside the car (from the top). Reassembly is the reverse. It is easy and fun.

- A pillar trim pieces. Mine broke easily in many pieces. I went to get them from the parts car, and they, too were all broken. They are made from some miserable plastic. I salvaged the originals by cleaning them, taping them together, and laying 3 layers of fiberglass & epoxy on the inside. Stronger than new!

- C pillar trim pieces. Much more robust than the A-pillar pieces. There are locating dowels on the back which will break unless you remove the speaker grills first, but these dowels seem unnecessary for reassembly (the 4 clips that hold them seem to do fine)

- sunroof slider is made of fiberglass. Using acetone cleaned up the old glue easily. Unfortunately you can't use acetone on any of the other pieces...

- Gluing headliner. I did pretty good with only a few wrinkles. It is a difficult process. I didn't have a good technique for applying pressure to the new headliner--invest some time in figuring something out. I think I would have had better results with more pressure.

Otherwise, plan for a nice long day (or two) of taking all the interior bits out and putting them back in again. Almost everything is accomplished with a tiny flathead (for prying out plastic covers), a single Torx wrench, and the occasional phillips. Be patient, do everything in order, and you probably won't break much.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
A big thank you.

I have been putting off doing the Sunroof slider in my griffin for ages.
I thought I would have to take the roof lining out, which on a CD means taking out the rear seats.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
I simply used some needle nose pliers and kept cutting/bending the slider into small pieces till I got it all off

·
Registered
819 Posts
i have to do this in the summer to sort out whatever is rattling/knocking around up there. luckily i dont have a sunroof to contend with! did you remove the b-pillars when you took yours out?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I followed these instructions: http://www.saabnet.com/tsn/bb/9000/index.html?bID=284383 ("Headliner writeup"). It involved loosening the B-pillar covers and lowering them but not removing them.

Be very careful and slow with the B-pillar covers they are attached at the top by a series of spring clips and I'm sure you will break things if not careful. As per the instructions above, you need to remove the seatbelt hanger, both door sills, and a couple torx screws. Also pull back the rubber door seals so you can peek under the B-pillar cover. Use a flashlight and a screwdriver to carefully release each clip. The cover will come loose and dangle low enough to release the headliner.

Don't try to cut corners by not removing any of the pieces (including door trim)--you will probably just break the headliner board. Also, I removed the "hardest" pieces (two square plugs in the far back) so I wouldn't be trying to get them out when the headliner was hanging on them.

Remember, your A-pillar covers may disintegrate. You've been warned.

The C-pillar covers are the most durable and easy to detach, but you need to disassemble the seat belt a bit if you are taking them out of the car to recover.

Removing the sunroof shade the _right_ way is really quite easy and doesn't risk tearing up any of the rest of the sunroof (my PO bent the track slightly tearing the slider out in pieces). Now that I've done it before I could remove the slider and put everything back together in about 10-15 minutes. Hacking up that fiberglass sun shade in place is probably messy and sharp and somewhat nasty to deal with.

Another note on recovering the slider board: The factory headliner on that board is thinner than the rest of the headliner material in the car. I used regular thicker (1/4'?) material on the slider and it is a little stickier right now but seems to work fine (I mostly leave it open. Don't we all?) It may loosen up a bit with time.

·
Registered
819 Posts
thanks.

i have actually removed the a-pillars several times before and oddly enough never had a problem. same with the c-pillars, like you say those small lug type things tend not to want to go back where they came from though!

i had to replace my b-pillars as a previous owner/garage had broke them near where the seatbelt enters the pillar. i was surprised by how much force was necessary to release them at the top and could quite easily see how they came to be broken in the first place. thats why i was slightly concerned about removing the good ones that i fitted.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts