SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just spent a day fighting (learning) all the nuances of flashing a T8 ECU for a 2003 9440. replacing the original ECU with an Ebay part of the same part #. I was successful at the end and the car's back on the road. Maybe this will help someone else...

Prelim info: I have a Win 7 laptop with both TIS2000 and GlobalTIS installed from the links provided elsewhere in this forum. I also have a typical Tech2 knockoff (with CANdi) from the usual suspects. They work fine; I can get security access and run things like "Tech2 View" without issue. My laptop has the "classic" serial interface so no USB->serial dongle.

(not-so)ProTip: if you're building a rig for TIS, toss a small SSD in the machine. They're dirt cheap and everything is just so snappy when you're using it...

The problem: A lot of Tech 2 clones come with v148 software on their card. This WILL NOT work properly in "Tech2 Passthru" or "Tech2 Remote" SPS modes, at least for earlier T8 ECUs. TIS2000 doesn't even support passthru mode, only remote. In all cases, you'll find the ECU reboots in the middle of the SPS reprogramming process (the car acts like you switched the ignition off, then on). In "remote" SPS, you can try to continue to program but that will fail. In GlobalTIS, running SPS in passthru mode with also fail, often at random points during the transfer. Interestingly, I found that I couldn't even start programming via Tech2 in remote mode (after loading the SPS files up to the Tech2 via either TIS2000 or GlobalTIS) unless I had the radio on. The radio didn't seem to matter with GlobalTIS in pass-through mode.

The latest version of the Tech2 software that comes with the GlobalTIS installation linked elsewhere is v.146. After beating my head against this problem I did a "software update" using GlobalTIS to downgrade to my Tech2 to v.146. You have to select the custom installation mode to downgrade but it works just fine. I was then able to flash my replacement ECU via GlobalTIS pass-thru mode on the first attempt. After the usual module add process via the Tech2 everything was running.

If you have an SPS failure you can generally recover the ECU by disconnecting the Tech2 and disconnecting the car's battery for at least 20 minutes. There seems to be a carry-over capacitor or something in the ECU because it takes some time off of batter power to fully reset. Without doing much research, I surmise that the SPS process starts with a boot loader and only updates the ECU application start process after it has verified a proper reprogramming. If the SPS load is aborted part-way through for some reason you just need to cold-boot the ECU and you can retry the SPS process. I probably did this 5 or 6 times on the same ECU.

·
Super Moderator
19,629 Posts
Good info. Sticking this.

Reactions: The Laminator
1 - 4 of 4 Posts