SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I know this question has been asked quite a bit around here, and I've searched through everything I can. The concensus is that if you can hear a whirring and click then you're fuel pump is good. I do get a whirring noise then click when turning the key on, but I'm almost absolutely sure it is not the fuel pump. So far all I have done since this problem reared its ugly head is replace the fuel filter. I was not able to start the car at all so the procedure to depressurize the fuel system was of no use to me. My dad(pretty mechanically sound, he's a farmer and has always done all the work on all of our vehicles) felt it was safe enough to depressurize by removing the lines to and from the pump very slowly. There was no pressure in them at all and not very much fuel inside it. I've never replaced a fuel filter, but there was maybe 4 oz. or so in it. It didn't seem full anyway. After replacing, there was still no progress. So now to that whirring noise, I put my ear directly by the fuel pump and heard the whirring noise. Unfortunately I've never been able to tell if this originated from the pump or not. However, the clicking/buzzing noise definitely comes from the engine bay, since it does it about once every 30 seconds when the key is on. It does not seem like a bad noise at all(relatively quiet), and it has done this since I purchased the car, so I assumed it is normal. Then I pulled the fuel pump fuse and turned the key. Whirring noise still there, it must not be the fuel pump then. Also I noticed the same noise while pumping the brakes when the ignition was on. This has all led me to believe the noise has something to do with the brakes pressurizing. I'm a college student so I don't have a ton of money, and the nearest Saab mechanic is 40 miles away. It is safe to assume that the fuel pump is dead? There was no problems before this happened, just one day after driving to the grocery store I got back in, it started for maybe 5 seconds and then died. The car wasn't very warm since the drive was less than 10 blocks. I've also read that the CPS could be the problem, but it seems when thats the problem, the car will start once in awhile or at least turn over. Again sorry for posting about this problem again, but with the lack of mechanics around my college town I'm going to have to do everything myself.

·
Registered
230 Posts
It sounds to me that the fuel pump is the problem. For me anyway the 2 second buzz of the pump is easy to recognize where its coming from.
If you want to test it before you buy a new one you can remove the pump and hook it up directly to your battery and see if it runs. If it proves faulty buy the pump itself and not the whole assembly that Saab sells. The pump is around $100. Good Luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I got the new fuel pump in...yay, but I broke the check valve...booo. Thankfully it's the white one, so it's very cheap to replace. By the way the black ring was actually really easy to get out. Instead of using vice grips holding a bracket just put the vice grips directly in there. I had a pair that fit pretty well and with a screw driver to turn it, it only took a minute or two.

·
Registered
35 Posts
similar problem

May have a similar problem in 2004 9-5 Aero. Was running like a clock, but this morning 15 minutes into trip it idled and accelerated rough for a moment, then seemed ok. Since then, hard to start warm or cold (needs a long time to crank, several tries needed), but once stated seemed normal.
Is this a fuel pump or bad gas? Is there a pointer to fuel pump replacement? Crankshaft position sensor replacement?

Many thanks, Chris

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I experienced that before my not starting at all problem. Supposedly it means the check valve is going bad according to the faq I read. This is the piece I broke and is supposedly easy to replace

1 - 5 of 5 Posts