SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Amazing that this morning the car would at least start and run even if the dash crapped out. After removing the dash and cleaning all of the connectors with contact cleaner and reinstalling the dash. Also, I reconnected the trip computer and A/C heat unit in the dash, the engine will turn over, the daytime lights come on, the seats and windows work but there seems to be no power to the dash or car start up.

I am at a loss on what the issue is. I have tested the fuse and relay block and there is power. Where do I go from here? The reason for all of this was from my post this morning about the dash part crapping out and one of the forum members said I should clean the contacts with contact cleaner.

Is there anyway to disconnect the security system on this car as I think that is part of the problem? This however still leaves me with a dash that is blank, no lights or gauges working and the car not starting up. I know the engine runs and runs well. Is there somewhere else that can cause this issue.

Any advice would help. I have worked on many cars in my 40 plus years but this one has be baffled.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Ignition switch unit Failure is common..after a dozen or so years of use.
Easy ish to buy and easy ish to install... Good luck

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ignition switch unit Failure is common..after a dozen or so years of use.
Easy ish to buy and easy ish to install... Good luck
Yep, you are correct. It was the ignition switch, made in the UK. Wonder if it met Lucas, The Black Knight of electrical systems. I used contact cleaner to clean it up a bit and now it is working everytime I start and run the car. I took out the steering wheel assy out and was able to access the ignition switch with no problem.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Good .. it's pleasing when it all comes together as hoped.
Erm.. one Only actually needs to remove the clam shells to get full access to the switch unit, subsequently a few turns of a teeny allen wrench and it's out.
I'd buy a fresh switch unit though... as the contact buttons and the cams can/do suffer damage, irreparably, with age and subsequent contact overheat.
Many have been ruined by a dead Direct Ignition Cartridge.. owners don't understand why the engine won't start and keep holding the starter Melting out the switch's innards.

I once thought of refurbing mine... then came to my senses, realising that the 50$ 'saved' wouldn't feel so good in my pocket if/when it subsequently failed... at night in a rainstorm ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts