SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
Have had my 9-5 for nearly 2 weeks. After reading all the stuff about sludging i was reall concered and just went and gave my PCV hose a mushy test.

The hose going into the cam cover is mushy-ish. It takes a little while to spring back into shape. The hose conected into the turbo is soft but still very springy. There is no hose goiing into the filler neck, so i am assuming my car still has the original PCV system on it.

The car has been regulary serviced by either Saab for its first runs of servicing and then by an indie service guy for the rest of its servicing up until i bought it. The car has 98,000 KM on the clock and is due for another service.

My question is, do the PCV hoses wear out after a while? I am sure they get pretty hot and the decline in my hoses may be due to heat instead?

I have none of the symptoms of a sludged engine, everything runs fine with no weird noises or affected performance.

Is my best bet just to drop the pan anyway and have a look?

Would it be ok to do this in a few weeks when i have time to get over to my father in laws place and his fully equiped garage?

And of course i will be replacing the PCV hoses with the latest kit. Anyone know where to get this in Australia? Just my local Saab dealer?

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Yes they really do just disintegrate over time.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Cammyron said:
so i will replace them with the new kit.

Is it still worth checking the sump at some point?
Yep - definitley ;)

·
Registered
199 Posts
I rang around recently in oz to try to trace a pcv kit (well several months ago) and found the local dealer was actually cheaper than everyone else. Shipping from overseas seemed to cost a fair bit/be troublesome. Think i got the whole thing, including the 3 extra hoses for about 250 AUD

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Adrian. I will go with a dealer then. $250 seems a lot since peopel are mentioning on hear the kit cost $50-100. Do the extra hoses add to the cost?

·
Registered
313 Posts
It costs about $65US for the kit and extra hoses, just to give you an idea.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Cammyron said:
So even taking into acount the exchange rate. Australian Saab dealers are ripping us of about $150 :) :) :)

tell me about it!! i just replaced my CPS...everyone says ~$50USD...here from the dealer...~$200AUD!!!! i dont understand why parts are sooooooo much more expensive in oz!!

Where else did you ring around to find parts?

btw...i have no idea what PCV kit i have in...is there a way to tell?

D

·
Registered
480 Posts
If you have a plastic connection(moulded) to the hose in the filler neck then Im pretty sure that indicates the latest PCV edition.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts