SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if its just me or not. Recently got my 95 and I love it. However I have noticed a coupler times If I'm overtaking, or just having a mad moment and it gets past 4500 RPM is seams to run out of grunt to get to where it needs to change gear (its and AUTO) Serviced it when I got it, it has new cone filter new plugs ETC, and also has a new Crank sensor, which was falty when I got the car unbenone to me Grrrr.

The car drives fine other than that, just if I have to get a push on it dose seem to lack top end grunt. Did wonder if the Fuel pressure regulator was on the was out, but normal driving it seams fine. I do have an adjustable fpr of an old car that will fit, but don't want to change it if I can avoid it.

Oh by the was its a 2.3 lpt. Have checked all vacume hoses and replaced any old and cracked ones and every thing seams fine. Its may be me and its how it is, but would like to be assured.

Thanks
Andrew

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
i didn't think overtaking usually required revving to 4500rpms in the first place on these cars, but here is an idea why it might feel more sluggish:

the lpt turbo is very small, considerably smaller than the aero turbo. it has a very tough time holding boost past about 4000rpms in the first place. it will generate full boost at about 2000 rpms, although its downfall is how fast it runs out of breath.

the lpt is only rated at 170hp (185hp for 2002+ i believe) in the first place, and weighing more than 3400lbs- it's no surprise it isn't super lively, especially in the high rpm range.

if you REALLY think it should feel faster though, there are probably a few things you could look at. generally a little preventative maintenance will free up horsepower if you're being robbed of it. you might try:

cleaning the MAF sensor and Throttle Body
installing new spark plugs
new air filter
fuel filter
etc.

·
Registered
8,299 Posts
LPT runs out of breath right there where you are looking. Even with a tune.

The T7 cams are aimed at the low down torque too

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Yeah. That's where the engine's own vacuum pretty much overpowers the turbo blowing in the air. I had a 2001 V6 9-5 with the same LPT and it had lots of low end grunt but in the high rpms it was nothing too impressive. Now with my Aero, there's a TINY bit more lag down low with the larger turbo but then it just explodes all the way to 5500rpm. :cool: Try one some day.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice guy's, has put my mind at rest. Will clean the MAF and change fuel filter anyway as they will be good then, I will have serviced al the main parts.

Its just a little annoying with an auto that when you are up their in the rpm you have to do quite a lift for it to change gear and go again. As you have said low gown grunt is very good.

Andrew

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update

Update, Had allready done air filter and plugs, so just took out MAF sensor, and found that it was filthy. One of the sensors was caked in a thick black crust, and one the leg had come away from the rail, so a good spray with cleaner so their all nice and shiny, and a smallest dap of solder, and its a different car. really Pulls nicely now all the way though the range now.

Cheers Guy's

Andrew

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
A stage one tune will liven it up nicely and you will spend less time overtaking, but as the guys have said, its a fairly small turbo aimed at minimal lag so does run out of puff quite early.

If and when the turbo goes, replace it with the aero one and an aero ecu and you'll have 230+bhp on tap :p

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Another update, replaced all my vacume lines with some nice blue hose (colour not importent) and what a difference, most of the old ones where cracked and brittle, and kept sliding of. Also found that where they connect to the control valve at the back of the engine, they where connected wrong. now I have a different car, really pleased.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Well done ;)

·
Registered
17 Posts
after i dynoed my 2.3lpt in 3rd and 4th gear no more power was generated after 4850 rpm dont know about other cars but just a reference point

1 - 11 of 11 Posts