SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really want a JVC KD-HDR1 for my 06 Aero Sportcombi.

1) I want an HD radio tuner
2) I want to throw the CD changer from my car out at high speed, as if there is a component that belongs on a "damn..." thread, it's that. Skip-happy POS.

One problem - I'm famously unhandy. Really useless when it comes to car stuff. Also, the idea of a stereo upgrade actually rendering my car undriveable is somewhat frightening (if not outright ridiculous). :eek: :nono;

I've read the threads. Seen the pictures. I'm still just not sure if it's worth the undertaking...

From those "in the know," would you try something crazy like this?

·
Registered
824 Posts
I used to have that receiver in my old car. I replaced a Panasonic unit with it. Although the HD Radio feature is cool (much cleaner sound, extra channels with no commercials), it isn't quite ready for primetime. When the signal gets weak, it cuts out completely, and the sound quality from the deck itself seemed kind of muddy compared to the Panasonic I had before.

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
Doh! scuse Jon, must pay more attention to detail ;oops:

If you as unhandy as you say, I would cautiously check with a few Pro Stereo Installers to see what they have to offer. They may offer only a few practical solutions as opposed to some of the more radical suggestions you may get here.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
Somewhat related if you do keep your current system, which you probably will, mention the skipping to the dealer and they should replace the CD player.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cosmicflash said:
Somewhat related if you do keep your current system, which you probably will, mention the skipping to the dealer and they should replace the CD player.
Been reading some threads here about that, too, but it seems most have had no luck.

It "works" now, but only after a substantial warm-up period. With a 20 min drive as part of my commute, there are times the CD player is MIA for the whole trip.

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
hancox said:
It "works" now, but only after a substantial warm-up period. With a 20 min drive as part of my commute, there are times the CD player is MIA for the whole trip.
This is abnormal. It can't be THAT cold in any part of CT right now. Even in 30 deg F conditions my changer stops skipping after about 5 minutes. Once the cabin temp warms it plays fine. I think it helps that the main air plenum is right behind the changer.

One of these days I'm gonna take the changer apart and scrape some of the lubricating grease on a little spatula and throw it in the fridge to show how it tenses up. Kinda like Feynman with the Viton o-rings that brought down the Challenger:
http://www.samizdata.net/blog/~pdeh/Feynman_IceDunk.jpg

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, that's based on experience. You're right - it's not at its worst right now, but it's still bad (5-10 mins now).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts