SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can anyone say GM. Some one should make this a hyperlink to a GM site not have this form on a Saab site. This is a joke to the saab name. Thats what I think is anyone with me.


Stephen Denton
C900 driver
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
213 Posts
yep i agree: i saw the commercial last night; they say that all other SUVs are invisable or something like that, and the SAAB 9-7x makes you stand out... it looks like a BMW X5 with a SAAB grill, i think that SAAB sold out with this one!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,583 Posts
912 fanatic said:
can anyone say GM. Some one should make this a hyperlink to a GM site not have this form on a Saab site. This is a joke to the Saab name. Thats what I think is anyone with me.


Stephen Denton
C900 driver
As is the so-called 9-2
Or, as another man said :If I wanted a Chevy, I'd buy a Chevrolet.

But that oversized thing the 9-7 is based on is a "GM"...and Saab, in a way, sadly, is just another vassal of GM, and if GM continues to be sloppy,may probably go the way of Oakland, LaSalle, Oldsmobile....

This situation reminds me of the beautiful old office buildings facing the wrecking ball.
We wonder why - these old buildings are strong, sound, beautiful, built of high quality materials.. Yet many are not used , face oblivion.
Why ??
In truth of fact, these gorgeous old timers are a POS, very inefficient, very costly to maintain, no HVAC, no closets, no PS, PB, cupholders, no concert hall stereo/CD, No air bags.....
Much like my old 99 of 1973, or even the '79 900..
These decisions must be made carefully, respect for the "elderly" is paramount..

Returning to Saab, and speaking of respect, a serious mistake was made by returning to the cable clutch in 1994 with the "new" GM/Opel 900..In 1965, Saab felt that the hydraulic system was better(IMO, it was not, far too prone to leak), but it was improved and ,IMO, worked well in the c900...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,583 Posts
PHAT_joe said:
yep i agree: i saw the commercial last night; they say that all other SUVs are invisible or something like that, and the SAAB 9-7x makes you stand out... it looks like a BMW X5 with a SAAB grill, i think that SAAB sold out with this one!
There is, and a shame it is, NO SAAB anymore to buy and sell, much as there is no Chevrolet,Pontiac,Buick,etc,etc - these are but names or brands -to serve the "almighty" GM..
NOT a good way of doing business...
And we need another huge gas gulping SUV as we need another hole in the head.
Ever hear of the Volkswagen "One Liter" ??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
I think saab would have been better served by a differnt parent- look at Volvo, still distinctive, no "quick fix" products ala the 9-7. The 9-2 isn't so bad, at least the same general market for subie and saab, I'm not so sure the average Saab buyer looks at Chevy suv's before buying. I guess that's GM's point, to bring in new people, but they could have done better than a poorly rated 5 year old platform to launch it. What happened to the B9 spin off?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,576 Posts
Lodro said:
Well, this is an original thread...<ducking/>
A very well trodden path indeed, I wish these guys with there rehashed Triumphs could see there's nothing new for saab in how the 9-7 came about.

Sadly the one thing that is absent from such threads is constructive critism.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,583 Posts
ragtopcav said:
A very well trodden path indeed, I wish these guys with there rehashed Triumphs could see there's nothing new for Saab in how the 9-7 came about.

Sadly the one thing that is absent from such threads is constructive criticism.
Rehashed Triumph - my foot !
Yes, of course, the Saab 99 used a Triumph engine, but this error, I believe, was rectified a few years later. And a British Leyland - Saab union back in the 70s - interesting..
I owned a '69, then a '73 ,on and on; did any English car of that time use the same body ??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
252 Posts
QUIT YOUR *ITCHIN"

HAS ANY OF DRIVEN THE 9.7X? THE VEHICLE ISN'T TO REPLACE YOUR 9.3'S OR 9.5'S. IT'S AN ADDITIONAL VEHICLE FOR YOUR SAAB DEALER TO SELL. THE MORE VEHICLES YOUR DEALER SELLS, THE MORE MONEY SAAB/GM WILL HAVE TO PRODUCE THE SO CALLED SAABS THAT YOU REALLY WANT. BUT NO MATTER WHAT THERE WILL BE SOMETHING THAT YOU DON'T LIKE ABOUT IT. UNLESS SAAB MAKE A RETRO 900 HATCHBACK YOU WON'T BE HAPPY.........GIVE IT A BREAK, SAAB IS GOING TO SELL THE 9.7X THEN LATER WE'LL HAVE THE 9.6X SUBARU BASED SUV AND YOU GUYS WILL HAVE THAT TO *ITCH ABOUT THAT TOO. HOW ABOUT THE 9.3 SPORTCOMBI, WHAT'S WRONG WITH THAT? IS IT NOT ENOUGH SAAB FOR YOU TOO? BOTTOM LINE IS IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT DON'T BUY IT........thank you now I feel better!!:(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
343 Posts
ragtopcav said:
Sadly the one thing that is absent from such threads is constructive critism.
Well, I'll beg to differ a little bit. I have pointed out (in one of the previous 3,000 threads on the subject) that I had specific concerns about no IRS, bad crash scrores, no turbo/bad mpg (I know, I know, its an SUV, and its got to be bterr than a Tourage, right?), and now add to the list no ESP, a real liability I think. All in all though I have to say it hasn't turned out as bad as I'd thought. Its even dare I say it a bit of a looker.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
88 Posts
Brewman013 said:
HAS ANY OF DRIVEN THE 9.7X? THE VEHICLE ISN'T TO REPLACE YOUR 9.3'S OR 9.5'S. IT'S AN ADDITIONAL VEHICLE FOR YOUR SAAB DEALER TO SELL. THE MORE VEHICLES YOUR DEALER SELLS, THE MORE MONEY SAAB/GM WILL HAVE TO PRODUCE THE SO CALLED SAABS THAT YOU REALLY WANT. BUT NO MATTER WHAT THERE WILL BE SOMETHING THAT YOU DON'T LIKE ABOUT IT. UNLESS SAAB MAKE A RETRO 900 HATCHBACK YOU WON'T BE HAPPY.........GIVE IT A BREAK, SAAB IS GOING TO SELL THE 9.7X THEN LATER WE'LL HAVE THE 9.6X SUBARU BASED SUV AND YOU GUYS WILL HAVE THAT TO *ITCH ABOUT THAT TOO. HOW ABOUT THE 9.3 SPORTCOMBI, WHAT'S WRONG WITH THAT? IS IT NOT ENOUGH SAAB FOR YOU TOO? BOTTOM LINE IS IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT DON'T BUY IT........thank you now I feel better!!:(


.....YEAH, What he said!! :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,641 Posts
You 9-7X haters really need to grow up. There hasn't been a true Saab in years, GET OVER IT! Even my 9-5 is a rehashed 9000 with bits from a vectra and an old Triumph engine to top it off. I don't care if it's not a "true" saab because I love it. And if these guys love their 9-7's just leave them alone. In fact more power to them for driving something just a little bit different from the rest of the SUV crowd.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
after reading the replies I have come to a understanding. thier are to type of people ones that are saab people and ones that are GM people. I feel to be a saab person you have to at one time owned a 9000. C900, 99,96 or any other pervious saabs. these are the people who know where I am coming from. If these people went to still drive a newer saab it is allright with me because they know where the roots of saab came from. but these knew saab guys will never be saab guys.

I am only 18 and swear never to own a saab past a 98 9000 the last true saab

Stephen Denton
C900 driver
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,641 Posts
912 fanatic said:
I am only 18 and swear never to own a saab past a 98 9000 the last true saab
What? The 9000 was the first of the non-saabs, how can that be the last true saab?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,576 Posts
earthworm said:
Rehashed Triumph - my foot !
Yes, of course, the Saab 99 used a Triumph engine, but this error, I believe, was rectified a few years later.
The chassis architecture [to use the phrase the current breed of designers prefer] is almost identical to a Triumph, yes, fact, it was already old hat when Saab took it on board; the old 900 was the ultimate expression of the Dolemite, in the same vain the new 900 is the ultimate expression of the Euro Cavalier J Body [Opel Vectra A].

I love this small mindedness :lol: the 9000 the last true Saab :lol: it's as much a Lancia as Saab, as far as design goes since the late 60's saab have just borrowed and innovated old stuff, they've had more input from the ground up on the 9-3ss than any other car since the 96 [with its Ford engine] the 9-7 represents this re-engineering of old stuff that Saab has excelled at for many decades.

OK guys heres a challenge, tolerate these new models, the 9-3ss, 9-2 and 9-7 for example, they may even get someone intersted in Saab enough to buy another, this, and only this will ensure the survival of the marque.

And for the record, there is little in common between the 9000 and 9-5, the 9-5 is typically 47% part commonality with the Vauxhall/Opel Vectra B chassis .
 
A

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
912 fanatic said:
after reading the replies I have come to a understanding. thier are to type of people ones that are saab people and ones that are GM people. I feel to be a saab person you have to at one time owned a 9000. C900, 99,96 or any other pervious saabs. these are the people who know where I am coming from. If these people went to still drive a newer saab it is allright with me because they know where the roots of saab came from. but these knew saab guys will never be saab guys.
Who are you to say we will never be Saab guys? I loved my C900, but I think my 9-3 is every bit a true Saab as the C900. It may have some GM parts underneath, but there has never been a Saab that was 100 percent Saab. The 95 and 96 models used a Ford V4 for much of their lives, and their original engines were not pure Saab designs. Like it has been said before, the 9000 was not a pure Saab, it shared its roof and doors and basic platform with Lancia and Alfa Romeos. I am a Saab guy because I am rooting for Saab's survival as a designer of cars that dare to defy the normal, and are not everybody's BMW. Through the 9-2 and 9-7, Saab has the customers and financial support to carry that on into the future. That's what a Saab guy should be, and I strongly suggest you join the likes of us.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Time is moving forward! Competition is moving forwad. I don't think the majority will pay $30k for a brand new c900...

Saab needs to change its direction to get some money injected. Whether it's changing in the right or wrong direction, at least it's changing... If Saab didn't change, we won't be talking about it now..


just my 0.2


LST
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,576 Posts
ApolloBoy said:
Wait, wasn't the 99 based on a lengthened 96 platform?
not really no, but there was [i believe ] a great deal of part carry over,

this subject is covered often in the lounge, give you a taste look at this link

and the rest of that thread
 
1 - 20 of 58 Posts
Top