SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i turned on my car and as usual the air comes on automatically and right off the bat, i have a strong smell of gas coming into the cabin. so i get out and check underneath the car for a possible leak; no puddles. so i pop the hood and try to find the source. on the left side of engine is where the very strong smell is coming from and it just smells very strongly of gas, but nowhere else in the car. the gauge is at the same spot as last time i drove it. nothing appears wet or possibly leaking, but then again it is dark outside. any answers anyone? please help if you can. it has run fine all day and never done this in the whopping one week we have owned it. thanks for the help

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Check the fuel clip. Lift up the back seat and see if the fuel line has worn or the clip has broken. This is a manuf. recall item. 3 dollar part.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Fuel Smell

Also lift the black plastic cover around the oilfill cap and check the rubber hose wich is connected to the valve cover.

Oh sorry its a V6:eek: but look to the rubber ventilation hoses are they correctly connected?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i will check all those if it keeps up. i went back last night about 20 min later and started it up and there was nothing this time. the only thing different i did the first time was use the wiper fluid and after that, the smell came in.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
as for checking out that stuff, kermit can you explain to me where the MAF sensor is located. and then, i lift the backseat as in the passenger seats in the back to check out the line? i drove it this morning with no problems or smells. but i will go check the hoses around the oil cap

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the picture. i will check it out. do i really need to worry if i am not getting any warning message or code from the car?

·
Registered
230 Posts
If your Evap purge valve is leaking like Kermit suggested I do not believe that would cause a CEL. The code P055 that is talked about in the above link relates to a clogged or faulty EVAP, not one that is leaking.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok so if it is leaking is that more likely it needs replacing or maybe just tightened if i check it and its loose? if something was wrong, wouldnt it always smell like gas, and not just one time?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts