SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I have a new (to me) 2001 9-3 automatic. Regardless of a/c status or engine temp, the idle speed seems to be 1000rpms. Is that right?

Most of my other cars all idled at about 800rpm's when warm.

Thanks!

·
Registered
337 Posts
not sure what is normal. Mine feels normal.... It starts out at about 1300 or so after starting and relaxes down to about 800 in about 10 seconds.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
RPM reading on the dash should around 1000 rpms, but it's actually lower. Below 1,000 rpms the tachometer doesn't register the correct reading so generically it reports around 1,000 rpms. The actual rpm for the engine should be at 850 rpm +-50 I believe. So your's seems to be right where it should be for the dash reading!

·
Registered
434 Posts
My Viggen idles at around 900 to 1000. I also brought this up recently and was told it was normal.

-Avinash

·
Registered
9 Posts
mine drops after put in a gear...

I always thought mine idled around 1000rpm, but after one visit to a shop, I noticed it actually idles around 1300rpm when started and as soon as I put in a gear (I have auto), that's not neutral, it drops to 1000rpm. Sometimes it drops 900rpm and almost sounds like it's going to stole out, but it idles at 1000rpm. However, if I shift from Parking to Neutral, it still idles at 1300rpm.

I could be wrong and it did this ever since I owned it, but I noticed this after a shop visit.

Is this normal? Someone said I might have a vacuum leak, but this shop tested and looked at other cars and they said they all do this...

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
t_mokes said:
Is this normal? Someone said I might have a vacuum leak, but this shop tested and looked at other cars and they said they all do this...
Ay, I guess thats kinda normal. When I start my auto NG900 it does idle at 1200 rpm when cold. Shift into gear it does drop down to around 1000 rpm. But if the engine is warm it stays at 1000 rpm after start and after going into drive.

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
It's normal. That's an NA thing. The car warms itself up. Cool feature, I think.

When I had my NA I always let it settle down before driving off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts