SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you guys feel about the nordic ecu? doess the nordic ecu offer more HP/Trq than JSP tune. I know they cost about the same. which should I go with i got a gs CAI, Viggen IC and a Full 3' exhaust? I know i have the hardware for stage 3. Which would you guys go with?

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
the staged software across all tuners is pretty much identical. in my experience nordic is a little more relaed, and low end gruntish.

sqr and jsp are more aggressive and high end power.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Yeah, the stages for most major Saab tuners are pretty standard across the board. They are written for a specific harware set, and there reall is not a whole lot that can be done on a staged tune to push the power beyond a certain point.

I agree with saabkid about the high end power on a JSP tune. My stage 4 produces peak power high up in the rev range.

I think nahumcc ran nordic and JSP software back to back on a dyno and although there were differences, but the very very subtle.

I'm not sure if he ever posted those findings over here on saabcentral, but I know he made a post on saablink

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
My jsp stage 3 compared to Nordic's stage 3 was hands down much better. This was on a viggen.

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
From what I have heard, the nordic tunes are a little more concervative, but I have heard a few on the lean side stories and have seen the posted dyno slips. At the stage 3 level, you might be able to get away with a leaner mixture, but I prefer a little richer one for longevity.

John

·
Registered
301 Posts
with your location being ct.......i'd go SQR. sometimes cars aren't so tuner friendly and its nice to have experience close to home. good luck with your project.

dave

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
saabmichael said:
so what would you go with?
I think you are ok with any of the tuners listed. Call the guys and decide which one is best for you, who do you think you could deal with the best and get along with and all that. I know Nick at GS and Jak both give great customer service.

I would call them all up and feel them out, but I don't think you can go wrong with any of them at the stage 3 level... They are all pretty close.

Good Luck,

John

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
I had the best results with a stock HOT ECU and MBC.
The down-side is 6.2k rev-limit, and fuel-cut @ 17.something Psi.

The plus-side? you're not paying $600 for a piece of crap guestimate Flash from Sweden.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
G96nt said:
The plus-side? you're not paying $600 for a piece of crap guestimate Flash from Sweden.

...that works pretty damn good for most of the people on the road.

It's pretty hard to mess up a staged tune. If you have all the proper hardware, it should be golden.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
G96nt said:
I had the best results with a stock HOT ECU and MBC.
The down-side is 6.2k rev-limit, and fuel-cut @ 17.something Psi.

I think carefully reprogramed fuel, ignition and boost maps with extended fuel cut is a more accurate description;) . Plus you get low end boost control to smooth out gearbox busting torque spikes which are a feature of an MBC - is it coincidence you are on your 3rd tranny?

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
The 1st went with a shift into 2nd @ the track. MBC or not, it would have had the same result.

The 2nd went because I got wheel-spin at the top of 2nd gear(50-ish MPH), wheel-hopped, and blew the differential. BPC would have done the same.

like I've said a hundred times.. the only benefit I got from the ECU was fuel-cut removal, and extra 800RPM... had I known, I'd have just bought a FCD, and saved the extra $$ for the same result.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
fatship said:
sometimes cars aren't so tuner friendly and its nice to have experience close to home.

dave
Thats very good advice especially as you reach the higher stages.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think the staged ecu is worth it because the 5-7 more psi. and the 800 rpms. idk. im probably going to go with the JSP stage 3.

·
Registered
267 Posts
JMOTC..I have a stage 3+ from Maptun. I live in Spain, which is to say even farther than you guys from Sweden, as we have no Maptun rep here.
I emailed Fredrik, with my hardware, and what I wanted (which was stage 3 for my 2002 93 lpt), he took into account all my hardware and sent me the ECU.

Started right on, and after dyno it was doing 239cv and 400Nm, which is to say higher in torque from advertised. :cheesy:

When this crude winter arrived, boost increased, and I had a few pressure cuts in third gear (over 4500 rpm), which I informed him. He said it was due to the yellow spring in my Forge wastegate, that produced boost spikes. He sent me a new ECU for 50 bucks..Now I'm riding the car some days at -3º C with boost spiking at 1.5 bar, steady at 1.3 bar and the thing is a real bullet.

To make a long story short..Perfect service, great help, and thanks to UPS it doesn't matter where I am, it just works.

Of course, in my opinion Maptun is serious business, good harware (6 gear kit, great shortblocks, etc..) and to me, the best software, dyno curves prove it is a good job, balanced, intelligent and real.

I will continue up to Stage 5 (280Hp) with Maptun, they have provided great service, advice and products.
:cool:

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
My understanding is that Nordic tunes for power and fuel efficiency, while others tune more for power. If you want a more OEM feel to power delivery, I've read that Nordic is a better choice.

Has anyone tried their E85 conversion?

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
saabkid37 said:
the staged software across all tuners is pretty much identical. in my experience nordic is a little more relaed, and low end gruntish.

sqr and jsp are more aggressive and high end power.
this is pretty much how they all present, ive ridden in cars with all but maptun, and it all holds true. all the sftware will increase your cruising mpg, no matter who the tuner is.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
umm spain is alot closer to sweden than the united states;) . but i know what your talking about. And -3 C = around 30 degrees F. I live in connecticut and thats nothing thats not even considered cold.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
baco99 said:
My understanding is that Nordic tunes for power and fuel efficiency, while others tune more for power. If you want a more OEM feel to power delivery, I've read that Nordic is a better choice.

Has anyone tried their E85 conversion?
Most of the time the car is running closed loop so there should be no difference between a stock ECU and a tuned ecu as far as economy is concerned. My Nordic creates most of the extra power higher up the rev range and is only available when you realy step on it. This I much preffer to an MBC setup where you have to take much more care with the throttle in everyday driving situations. Most tuners will have power curves that you can look at - these will give a good indication as to what the tune has done to the power output.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts