SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I was poking around dreaming about getting an ECU upgrade today. I realized that Nordic Tuning has stats listed for stage 1, 2, 3 for a manual, but only 1, 2 on an automatic. Which, unfortunately, is what I have.

So I was curious...is there any reason you couldn't push an automatic up to the 280hp spec'd out on the stage 3 for the manual? Seems like as long as you weren't doing neutral drops it wouldn't destroy your transmission.

Thanks,
Rich

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
if u learn nothing, learn that hp does not blow trannys torque does... also learn our automatic cars can make a lot of power... mine is up at 260hp and i am on stock software....

cheers and welcome

·
Registered
114 Posts
ricot83 said:
if u learn nothing, learn that hp does not blow trannys torque does... also learn our automatic cars can make a lot of power... mine is up at 260hp and i am on stock software....

cheers and welcome
Any idea of the safe torque limit for the auto?
And what mods have you done to increase power to 260 with standard ecu software?:eek:

·
Registered
114 Posts
s93turbo said:
Autos are for girls:nono;
Its for the wife:cheesy: its my way of getting her to like Saabs, as i want one aswell:lol:. But a manual:cheesy: She is unable to drive a manual as she has a bad back:roll: I told her that Saabs have the best seats for the back, which convinced her, hope i am right as i havent picked the car up yet:D

·
Registered
483 Posts
s93turbo said:
Autos are for girls:nono;
dude whats with your bad attitude????!?!?!?
Dont get me wrong I love my 5spd, and at this point in my life dont want to drive anything but a stick shift, I think everyone should know how to drive a stick, but if the cars an auto, its an auto, no big deal, some people just perfer it. (there are a whole bunch of other arguments, but there is no need to attack a fellow forum browser based on what type of trans is in there car, and BTW i know a few automagics that could probably kick your cars ***)

As far as tranny's handling torque and HP, I do not know the figures, but i do know that most of the tuners will have the power come on later in the RPM range to preserve the life of the tranny. Also frequent fluid changes and using a good synthetic trans fluid will help too

·
Registered
114 Posts
WyldSaabMan said:
dude whats with your bad attitude????!?!?!?
Dont get me wrong I love my 5spd, and at this point in my life dont want to drive anything but a stick shift, I think everyone should know how to drive a stick, but if the cars an auto, its an auto, no big deal, some people just perfer it. (there are a whole bunch of other arguments, but there is no need to attack a fellow forum browser based on what type of trans is in there car, and BTW i know a few automagics that could probably kick your cars ***)

As far as tranny's handling torque and HP, I do not know the figures, but i do know that most of the tuners will have the power come on later in the RPM range to preserve the life of the tranny. Also frequent fluid changes and using a good synthetic trans fluid will help too
Thanks, by the way no offence taken;)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ricot83 - I'm curious as to what you've done as well to get that much hp off the stock software.

As for the "Auto's are for Girls" comment... To each their own. I would have hoped for a slightly more mature statement, but, oh well. I prefer a manual as well but bought an auto because that's what the car I liked happened to have.

My previous car, which I still have, was an '85 300zx with an auto. Transmission died so I did an auto to manual swap. I love it but I have to admit that when I'm sitting in traffic for two hours stop...go...stop...go...stop...go.....an auto sure is nice.

Thanks for all the responses, too.
Rich

·
Registered
919 Posts
Remeber riding in my car Rich?? Since then i have added a turbo back exhaust and the viggen IC. I will most likely shoot for 240whp from mine...

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Rich visit my website and read about my car there... also i am about to put my smbc back in my car so for that reason i may be dynoing my car very very soon once again.... ill let u know the outcome

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
demoniac said:
My previous car, which I still have, was an '85 300zx with an auto. Transmission died so I did an auto to manual swap. I love it but I have to admit that when I'm sitting in traffic for two hours stop...go...stop...go...stop...go.....an auto sure is nice.

Rich
Oh so true. I only have manual's, but my wife has an automatic. Sure the manual is great, and I don't think I could ever buy an automatic(unless it was just a family car or something and I still had a manual), but there are times when I am creeping home in traffic that I just wish I had an automatic. In fact for a lot of the driving I do, an automatic would certainly be more sensible, but I am not a sensible person. :p

There really is nothing wrong with automatic, it's just preference, tell it to the guys driving the automatic mercedes sl500, etc...

Only thing I hate is when someone ***cough*** my wife ***cough*** will say that her car is a manual too because it has the "sport shift" mode. She will argue that it is the same thing, and that I should just get an auto with sport shift. It is VERY far from being the same thing. I think my only dislike of automatic is just that it robs horsepower, other than that, it's just preference.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts